Bruno 35 Shaft Drop

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Several years ago I dropped the shaft on my Bruno 35. There seems to be quite a bit of discussion concerning too little clearance for proper diameter propellers on the old Brunos. Mine had a notch for the skeg bar and, get this, a slab of white oak 2" X 4" X the length of the notch between the bar and the keel notch. No big deal to drop it as long as you have a little room to raise the front of the engine about 3/4" - 1" plus the center bearing needs to be lowered 1-1/2" - 2".

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
i have a 22 on it, but it takes the paint off above the wheel:-o

Mine did too. Also had much vibration at WOT. I picked up nearly a knot of speed just by giving proper clearance top and bottom of prop.

pugsley

Captain
Mine did too. Also had much vibration at WOT. I picked up nearly a knot of speed just by giving proper clearance top and bottom of prop.

yeah, i can't get rid of the vibration when running hard, and you can tell, it's just right there above the wheel, you can stand there and feel it

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
So.....
I made a plywood box the width of the keel maybe 3' long slant at one end, skeg bar recess at other, all covered with clear packing tape for release. Layed up 4" of 4" wide mat strips in it (plus 2" more aft to take up where Bruno had their oak 2X4) working outside at winter temp. & light on the hardener. Busted off the form, ground to fit recess in keel attached with epoxy and longer skeg bar bolts through the whole thing.
Lucky I had 6" extra rudder shaft above so lengthening my FG rudder by 4" was easy too.
Well worth doing.

j dandy

Lieutenant
Hi brooksie, nice looking job.
what size shaft are you running&how big is the horse power.
how high is your engine box above the floor.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Hi brooksie, nice looking job.
what size shaft are you running&how big is the horse power.
how high is your engine box above the floor.

1-1/4" shaft, 165 HP, no engine box or step, Perkins HT6.354M.

j dandy

Lieutenant
very nice job. was going to do the same but never did.
had a cat 3208T 325hp 11/2 shaft. had 4 of those hulls at one time three 35s&a42 all lobster stile, love that hull.

Top Bottom