Bruno Replacement Windows Project

CaptainHinckley

Captain
Boat Make
1998 29' Sea Ray 1980 Bruno Stillman 35
Hi all happy new year
We have been wanting forward wheelhouse windows for a while due to 40 years of lexan hazing., was hard to see in bright light. Had received a price last winter but then Covid came around.
Anyway, Pulled the Windows today, no easy task, well adhered and brittle. Going to make cutout templates this week to mail to Winn.
Going with natural mill finish frames and 1/4” clear glass. Tempted to use something tinted like a car windshield but probably won’t. What do you guys suggest laminated or safety glass? They are bigger than average and sloped more than most DE’s.
While we have the windows out we want to address the interior cosmetics. The boat has some terrible brown vinyl over unfinished fiberglass. Thinking about carefully cutting out the vinyl to use as a future template if needed but thinking we would just roll gelcote the fiberglass. We have seen plenty of boats done this way and we don’t think we mind the look of finished gelcote on important surfaces with a rougher non-reflective surface around window. Thoughts? Can we gelcote in the winter with electric heaters to warm area? Lastly the outside surface has been hand painted with interlux brightside, we want to strip this away to a clean surface before Windows are installed.

A85A767C-F49A-4A8F-A89B-2B417DC27786.jpeg

178E0721-AF9C-42E2-8353-CC282ED1DE38.jpeg

B62AB944-02BE-4D7C-B7D3-D714F6C61797.jpeg

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
That looks all too familiar :eek:. Do a good job on the patterns and you will love how those Wynn windows fit. I went with clear on the front and light tint on the sides. I'm surprised you got all three front windows out in one day. Mine were installed with 5200 or something very close and it took a brand new oscillating tool with the knife blade to get them out - worse than pulling teeth. Rolled gelcoat is fine. I suspect that brown looking resin might be the tacky laminating stuff so don't use paint on it. The waxed gelcoat will cure fine with it and stop any stickiness. Yes, you can use a little cube heater to warm the area you gelcoat. It works fine on the not so coldest of days. Have fun!

CaptainHinckley

Captain
Boat Make
Thanks keel. I remember your window posts. Exciting and somewhat nervous task, boat is dry and want to keep it that way. Will take our time and be accurate with notes on template. Yes all the bare pinkish fiberglass is sticky. we will clean with whatever they sell me at Hamilton’s or Jamestown then roll gelcote. Should be much more appealing than that vinyl. We plan on installing a couple larger teak accent planks under side windows and over window valance later on That will minimize much of the surface.
whats left of old go window. Held up well I think for 40 years.

61329D27-6DC3-4C86-AB1E-006CC311DB91.jpeg

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
Had you thought about MarGard Lexan through bolted for a military look. Hinges on the helm window. If your windshield is like mine, the panels are not flat, Lexan can easly deal with this glass can't. Lexan is 10X stronger than glass and clearer too. MarGard will handle wipers no problem. You can do the whole project yourself.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I like Lexan for home built windows, just make it more replaceable for when it does have. For glass windows my preference is laminated.

Basically I have smashed out a tempered glass window and I was fine but my face had little scratches and was bleeding, lucky it wasn't my eyes (was probably wearing sun glasses at the time).

leaky

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the reply.
1/4” laminated is thick enough for some off shore use?

I'm an overkill sort of person so for what it's worth, I would go as thick as practical, whatever that is.

I believe when I was pricing out my windows I priced 3/8 but was thinking I'd probably actually order 5/16.

Auto windshield glass I believe is 3/16.

The downside of laminated glass is it is weaker than tempered, so it breaks easier, however when it breaks it stays together. My way of going at it would probably be if the typical application was 1/4 tempered glass and I went to laminated instead, I'd go to 5/16 to try to duplicate the strength.

Saltaire

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Dyer 29
Can I suggest using SentryGlas Plus for the interlayer for laminated forward facing glass replacement. It is much tougher than PVB which is the traditional interlayer material for laminated glass. By all means the glass should be laminated to keep pieces in place should it ever break.

Rob25GM

Lieutenant
First Name
Rob
My window advice from doing windows on my dads Duffy last year.

-get all gelcoat work and polishing done first. Don’t want to get the new pretty windows dirty.
-Make sure to get some extra screws.
-take lost of notes and be exact on windows wall thickness. Make sure you have an exact 3” radius
-A new Phillips head screwdriver.
-Make sure to get some extra screws.
-definitely wouldn’t use an impact gun
-white butyl tape, tighten in the spring time 60 degrees then on a 80 degree day snug up the screws and cut off the rest of the butyl tape.
He used 1/4” safety and they are definitely heavy windows.
Love the new windows no leaks yet. Any other info think my dad posted the project it’s the old Annie Kate.

1C146E77-C5BF-4529-BD29-F9E7D237BB02.png

Last edited:

leaky

Vice Admiral
Just to point something out, I believe "safety" glass is technically both laminated and tempered glass. Actually I am not sure laminated glass isn't also tempered.

Hold_fast_marine

Lieutenant
My best friend Jim in harpswell is redoing a Bruno now and has replaced all the windows. He has the old ones. They are in pretty decent condition. I can set up a phone call or something if you’d like?

Corazon

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Doug
Boat Make
Duffy 35
Good Morning,
I am also in the process of restoring my 1980 Bruno. As my front windows were hazed and 40 years old, I broke them out with a rubber hammer. Took me just under an hour. I used pattern plastic (Dura-skrim - Used a lot for making boat canvas). I traced the cutout and then sent the patterns to Wynne. They are a great company to deal with. Josh Helped me.

The windows I went with have white flex-painted aluminum frames, 3” radius corners, ¼” solar gray laminated safety glass and clamp ring mount to fit ½” wall.

Port and Starboard: (approx. 33” x 33”) Model 150 Stationary - $409.46 Each

Center: Window size 31 5/8” H x 31 3/8” W Model 250 Partial Swing Out - $756.7

The 3 Windows cost me $1,575.66. Knock off about $300 if you go with a fixed center window.

Easy to install and they look great. Ill take a photo and send later

Regards,

Jeffrey

CaptainHinckley

Captain
Boat Make
Wow looks great. Looking forward to installing our Winn windows. The gelcote or painted fiberglass inside is clean look too. Nice work.

How is the solar grey at night? Vision safe enough for running at night below?

Last edited:
It is really not bad, it is a light tint. Even during the day you do not realise they are tinted , but definitely keeps the heat sun Rays out and I am in Bermuda where there is lots of sunshine.

LuSea

Lieutenant
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
Good evening,
Here are the photos of the new Wynne windows I recently installed in my Bruno.

View attachment 99814

I too am refitting my '84 , Nauset 35. What window did you go with for the large port and starboard sliders ? Still 1/4" glazing ? Did you split the operating center window as a matter of personal preference of by advice from Wynn ? Boat looks great!

Top Bottom