Bruno Replacement Windows Project

CaptainHinckley

Captain
Boat Make
1998 29' Sea Ray 1980 Bruno Stillman 35
Just heard from Winn today after sending them my templates. They have some concerns with how poor the windows had been cut out in 1980. One radius is off that needs to be corrected and the straight lines are anything but. When we took the window out I had thought geez that’s sloppy saw work but what do I know, no one will see it I guess, anyway they confirmed this.
I had noted on the template two particular spots we noticed and didn’t like when removing the windows that the outside flange only covered by about half of its width. The windows never leaked but not sure why other than they used more than enough 5200 or similar during install and fill the voids, in some areas near a 1/4” of 5200.
If I’m understanding them correctl, Winn would like to know if we can add 3/16” or a 1/4” to the radius and connect the straight runs of the sides to correct the poor cut out With a slightly larger frame in effect straghtning the cutout. We would cut opening to match after receiving new frames. Does this seem reasonable? I’m concerned about transferring the new size to the boat. I need to go to the boat but I'm thinking there is enough space to add the half inch Increase in size except for the port window- center edge where it meets the added support ( the hump in photo). i Don’t want to have leaks or crooked, poorly spaced windows either. I suppose we could build up the areas where they cut to aggressively. What would you guys suggest? I don’t have a decent picture but might help explain

18FD6360-80CF-45E2-AFAB-3CB3CB38A204.jpeg

Last edited:

LuSea

Lieutenant
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
Nauset 35
If I experience the same as you when I remove the windows in my Nauset 35 I plan to :
1. construct 1/2" plywood templates that will have the correct smooth radius and straight edges but slightly larger than the existing openings.
2. Hot-glue the templates to the exterior.
3. Using a "pattern" router bit with a top bearing guide , route the existing openings clean to establish perfect edges and radius'
4. re-template using the newly established openings.

My suggestion would be the same for you.

I too am refitting my '84 , Nauset 35. What window did you go with for the large port and starboard sliders ? Still 1/4" glazing ? Did you split the operating center window as a matter of personal preference of by advice from Wynn ? Boat looks great!
Good evening, The port and starboard windows are American Marine. The are also 1/4 with a light tint. They were in the boat when i brought it. The are at least 13 - 15 years old and in good working order. some of the power coat flacked on the outside. They still do not leak. I split the front center window as a personal preference and past experience from my last boat which had a center opening window. You will be amazed what a deference it makes as it can get hot in Bermuda. The breeze is wonderful when at anchor or on a calm day cruise. Thank you.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I had to belt sand all the window openings smooth and straight before I made patterns for Wynne. I think I went up in size about 1/4" in either direction. They were hacked in there just like yours and I can't live with sloppy workmanship. :mad:

Top Bottom