Bruno-Stillman Shaft/Engine Alignment

s'wester

Deckhand
Good Afternoon,

Busy learning and tearing through the my new to me 1977 Bruno Stillman. Many original parts and pieces including cutlass bearing, shaft log, and hose as well as a littany of other items. Engaging her in fwd I noticed quite a metal on metal squeal from around the packing gland, this didn’t happen in reverse. Packing nut was incredibly tight and took a lot of banging with a brass punch to get loose once loose the nut and shaft dropped a small amount. Next I disconnected the shaft coupling from the transmission and the coupling dropped down and to stbd.

Obviously I have some major alignment issues and plan on pulling the rudder, shaft and making a jig like some other forum members have done to check and adjust alignment.

Anything I am missing, suggestions advice?
DB707A96-0062-4868-A112-867952B98E6C.jpeg

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Does your Bruno still have the original center bearing? You will have to loosen that up as well, and then adjust it after you have the correct alignment done.

s'wester

Deckhand
Yes sir, I am pulling the tank and will adjust the center bearing. There are lots of great threads here I have researched. I just want to make sure I am headed in the right direction.

ArchHibb

Admiral
First Name
Charles
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
With the shaft uncoupled, you might as well do the engine mounts while you’re in there. And since you’re pulling the shaft, might as well have it checked for damage and get the coupling faced to it. Replace that ground up stuffing box too.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Yes sir, I am pulling the tank and will adjust the center bearing. There are lots of great threads here I have researched. I just want to make sure I am headed in the right direction.
does the shaft spin easy with the engine disconnected? Why assume the center bearing alignment is bad?

s'wester

Deckhand
The shaft does spin freely, there are other reasons for pulling the tank there is already a hatch in the deck so it’s not a major project…only semi-major:)

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
does the shaft spin easy with the engine disconnected? Why assume the center bearing alignment is bad?
It's located in no man's land (under his fuel tank or water tank) and has probably never been touched since the boat was built in 1977. If you're going to do an alignment you might as well do it all. Even if the center bearing is in alignment, I'm sure it's long overdue for replacement.

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I replaced my original babbit lined center bearing with a ball bearing pillow block. It rattled, threw grease everywhere, and wore the shaft. I also used 12" of stuffing box hose instead of the 6" that come with the stuffing box to get it out of the keel a little more. I reversed my shaft so the worn areas (center bearing, cutlass, stuffing box) were all moved to different areas for a fresh start.

Top Bottom