Buey Cutters???

Does hauling a trawl of lobster pots restrict your vessels ability to maneuver??? .

• yes

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dont know, Never done it.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greg

Captain
There are two sides tot his. When line gets wrapped up in a boats prop, it will swing stern to the seas which can be disastrous for a small boat.

Your only option is to slash away. Once free from your stern anchor, you can unwrap the remaining line safely.

Lost gear is secondary to avoiding sinking.

Then there is the issue of the guys who drop their gear inside channels and inlets. Really?

greg

Captain
:confused:

You must not know much about lobstering..

Never said I did, but if you are going to bitch about losing gear you drop in a place it is going to get run over by boats taveling in highly used paths then you must not know much about boating.

Keep your gear out of the channel or don't complain about losing it.

33youngbrothers

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
33' YB
Never said I did, but if you are going to bitch about losing gear you drop in a place it is going to get run over by boats taveling in highly used paths then you must not know much about boating.

I wouldn't fish singles, pairs or triples exactly for that reason.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral

Was the gear there first? It is illegal to molest fixed gear which includes cutting it off. We Lobstermen assume people are in control of their vessel .

33youngbrothers

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
33' YB
I was thinking the same thing while reading. Do many guys fish singles? seems much better to have a trawl, for both retaining your gear, faster hauling, and less buoys.

I think most guys east of boothbay fish almost all singles and pairs if I'm not mistaken. Most of them have cages on there boats so they don't get rope in the wheel.

In my area the only people who fish small trawls are skiff fishermen, most fish 6+ trap trawls with a buoy on each end. Pain in the ass when someone sets over you in 30 fathom but makes for a much faster day.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
i love how people will use your gear as an anchor. And when you confront them about it they are so surprised that you are angry about it.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make

im Not sure if you are aware of this but commercial fisherman tending their gear have the right of way over all the other traffic. And commercial vessels were there first. If commercial gear inconveniences recreational boaters then too fucking bad in my opinion. The bueys are there so that people dont run the shit over, not so that you can. A competent mariner should be able to navigate around bueys, and as for those guys with auto pilot, if you run something over, then serves you right for not paying attention while a danm computer was driving your boat.
There was a guy where I live who had some of his gear set around a historic lighthouse in the harbor. It wasn't in the channel, it was out of the way. Then some douche bag with a tour boat got a case of the ass about it being there because he couldn't get his boat in as close as he would like. So he started running the guys stuff right over. They got into a shouting match over it, the guy with the tour boat is a total asshole, I know from my own experiences with him.
To make a long story short, the fisherman took the 6 feet of breakaway off of his bueys and put 6 feet of chain on them. lol!!!!!! he fucked that guys boat right up and he deserved it. problem solved............. Whatever happened to just shooting at peoples boats ????????

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
Dont get me wrong, if you run something over in the dark or bad weather thats one thing, but to say that fishermen dont belong fishing somewhere because all the yachtees dont want to have to steer around them???? Thats just retarded

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
im Not sure if you are aware of this but commercial fisherman tending their gear have the right of way over all the other traffic. And commercial vessels were there first. If commercial gear inconveniences recreational boaters then too fucking bad in my opinion. The bueys are there so that people dont run the shit over, not so that you can. A competent mariner should be able to navigate around bueys, and as for those guys with auto pilot, if you run something over, then serves you right for not paying attention while a danm computer was driving your boat.
There was a guy where I live who had some of his gear set around a historic lighthouse in the harbor. It wasn't in the channel, it was out of the way. Then some douche bag with a tour boat got a case of the ass about it being there because he couldn't get his boat in as close as he would like. So he started running the guys stuff right over. They got into a shouting match over it, the guy with the tour boat is a total asshole, I know from my own experiences with him.
To make a long story short, the fisherman took the 6 feet of breakaway off of his bueys and put 6 feet of chain on them. lol!!!!!! he fucked that guys boat right up and he deserved it. problem solved............. Whatever happened to just shooting at peoples boats ????????

:lol::lol: good for the buoys with the chain :lol::lol: hope the tour boat tore the struts right out of the boat !!! I love it !!!

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
Complaining about buoys when your in Maine is like complaining about massholes when your in Boston. ( No disrespect to anyone here, you all know the kind I mean.) If you can't handle it stay home, or come up in February when you won't have to deal with them.

Last edited:

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Left my rules of the road in the boat, but if I remember correctly the only commercial vessel that has the right of way is one trawling. Which would exclude a boat working pots.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
A vessel hauling a trawl as I understand is considered a vessel at rest/ or anchor, wouldnt it be so??? I am pretty confident that we have the right of way. When hauling your trawls you are a vessel with very limited mobility.You may as well be at anchor, after you vessel is attached to a fixed object on the bottom. You cant just, jump out of the way of some stupid sailboat when you are in the middle of a trawl. what are you supposed to do, cut your line everytime that some dildo doesnt feel like tacking........ And I also think that auto pilot should be illegal inside the federal line. Do you have any idea how many accidents that shit causes annually??? never mind all of the bueys that get run over.

Last edited:

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

greg

Captain

Commercial vessels only have right of way if their gear restricts their ability to maneuver. Setting and retrieving traps only counts while you have a line in the hauler, not when the gear is in the water free floating (and not when you are running between pots). At that point it becomes a hazard to navigation.

Channels have special rules. You need to look those up in the colregs, but fishing vessels have no right of way while in a marked channel - they are required to yield to all other traffic.

That is all irrelevant to set gear.

Out of the channels you are closer to right. Boaters should avoid the gear wherever it is, but especially in open water. No argument there.

I've never wrapped gear in my boat. Partly because it has a keel that pushes line away, partly because I have a line cutter on the shaft, and mostly because I avoid it. But I do run a lot at night, and that shit is just invisible. I'm sure I've gone over it, but luckily never tangled in it.

So don't get me wrong. It's only inside channels and places boater can't easily navigate (like tight inlets) I have an issue with.

My point wasn't anything other than this though.

Don't cry like a little school girl because you lose gear you drop in a channel or inlet where boats can't avoid it. ;)

Top Bottom