Build a skiff quick kit?

Discussion in 'Skiffs and Small Work Boats' started by Jesse lowell, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

Was wondering would this be something of interest. A kit to build a small work skiff for diy's or a fishermen that knows a guy handy at welding aluminum who needs a skiff. Thoughts? 16 skiff rendering.png

2. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Could be.

Metal version of this basically. Good stable design.

Attached Files:

3. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

Hmm.... Well the kit boat would be a bit bigger, it would have much more capacity, guessing 30%+. And the kit boat would be a much better boat in a sea because the bottom is designed to lift the bow instead of sink it which cause skiffs to catch and spin around. It has a little more sheer which makes a small boat look good. But I must say I love the look of the wood!!!! But!, Maintain a zinc on a boat made of 5052, 5083 or 5083 aluminum and it will last life times with moderate abuse.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  4. synthnut

synthnut Member

I’d love to see something like this happen but I’m not sure of how well it would be received with the cost of various metals these days......I’ve always wanted a smaller welded boat but they have been cost prohibitive....Jim

18-20 ft range and sea worthy ?........Sweet !!!

5. dirwood

dirwood Member

Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    30ft South Shore, 220hp cummins
    I would definitely be interested, been toying with the idea of a welded skiff for a while. I do a lot of aluminum work in my shop building dock ramps, tanks, mast & booms, etc. and a skiff would be a fun and useful project. You thinking about a pre-cut kit? Dimensions?

6. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

Hi Jim! I've priced out a couple boats recently, I have not seen any big jumps as of yet. I can very easily scale the boat to any size, I think 22 would be the limit with this type of simple construction, would need some added framing if it was much bigger then that.
    The design would be alright for light seas, being a flat bottom it would not be an ideal boat for real sloppy seas, a v bottom would be more suitable if you had to be out in a small craft advisory.

7. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

You would have blast building this! You would not believe how fast a couple hard working people could put this together. Yes all cut parts will be cut with a CNC Lazer, there'll be a small about of cutting on the extrusions. I can change the dimensions, this one is 16, which I think will be mmanageable to build because of the weight of the parts.

8. dirwood

dirwood Member

Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    How would this scale down to a 14ft model? Several places around me have length limitations on skiff sizes allowed at town docks and a 14ft model may be a better fit. Either way i am interested in learning more and seeing a dimensioned drawing. Would you have the pieces bent for the seats or fabricated out of three separate pieces and welded? Whats your thoughts on material choices, 5052 versus 5083, the price savings with the 5052 is significant and is the added strength of the 5083 really even needed for something like this?

9. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

The cool part is I can without too much trouble scale the boat to what ever dimensions necessary. So you tell me what size you need and I can make it happen.
    I would not have the seats bent as the kit maybe drop shipped by the cutter and most people do not have access to a break. It definitely could be an option.
    5052 would be ok for for the 16' skiff, but cost difference between 5052, 5083 or 5086 on a project this small would not add up to much.

10. dirwood

dirwood Member

Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    Jesse,

Whats a ball park price for the 16ft skiff kit, all cut out and ready for pick up? You built one of these skiffs yet, be nice to see one all completed. Whats the plate thickness for bottom and side plates?

11. dirwood

dirwood Member

Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    I had been looking at this one for a while, might be a bit too small though. 14-16 ft is just right. I like the flat bottom on your skiff better than the vee bottom.

upload_2018-8-10_7-43-30.png I

12. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

Cut parts will be around $3600. Plus shipping. I'm working on a deal to get the rails rolled into shape and send them from here as an option. That would just add the cost of the labor and shipping. Other option is a person could have the tubing rolled locally if they knew someone with a heavy duty tubing roller. I imagine a person would have about $4400 in it by the time they nonskid the floor and buy welding supplies.
    I have not built this model yet, I would if someone ordered one, but mostly I designed it to sell as easy to build kits.
    All 3/16" plates, the bottom could be 1/4" at a small cost if they felt they needed it.

13. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

V bottoms do ride better, but definitely harder to build. Picture is v bottom I built last year. A lot of pulling and tugging to get her to come together 20170920_193835.jpg lol

14. dirwood

dirwood Member

Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    i remember the pictures from when you launched it last, damn nice looking boat. Where are you having the materials cut? Have you got a weight calculated up yet for the 16ft skiff .

You tried using any of the 4943 filler wire? I usually run 5356 but have started using 4943 for some things and may shift to it completely, almost the same strength as 5356 but runs like 4043 and hardly any of the magnesium black smut you get with the 5356.

15. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

Yes I do have a weight calculation, I just don't have it with me, when I get back to the computer I'll post it.

I have not used 4943 filler, but now you mentioned it I'll definitely look into! Thanks!

16. Jesse lowell

Jesse lowell Member

Sorry it took so long to get back on here. Cut parts are 550lbs. I imagine the boat would be about 700lbs with filler wire, extrusions and nonskid paint.