Bullraking Quahogs

duxbait

Captain
Anyone else on here commercially bullrake quahogs? I'm new to it... just wondering if anyone else does it on this site.

Pedlyr

Captain
Did it in a previous life......I don't think things have changed much. Hard to do for longer than 6 hrs at a time, especially in the winter.

duxbait

Captain
Ya i am a full time student and am just doing it to get some extra money. Not many guys around here bullrake (Duxbury/Plymouth). I have a 14'' aluminum pipe with an adjustable t-handle on it. What set ups have you seen used to combine lengths of pipe together? I would like to add more pipe to have a handle up to 20-22' to adjust with the tide. With our big 10' tides the 14' handle is only good for a few hours.

Pedlyr

Captain
I think I used to use (2 ) 15' telescoping sections, about 1 1/4". If you get too long, then you have to go to a dry or plugged pole. Tide isn't as bad here. I had a " mud " rake which has longer teeth. An old washing machine roller helps mounted on the rail.

Pot hauler use is now legal in RI, so many can now use the power assist and dig in deeper water.

There might be a couple of welders down in Falmouth who fabricate gear. I know there are a few diggers left in the Waquoit area.

Super Suck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Lasco 5' fiberglass
Ron Ribbs company in Harwich that his wife has been running since he died years ago! I had 2 bump rakes from the mid '90's, they worked too good. Most Cape towns banned its use.

Super Suck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Lasco 5' fiberglass
The company has grown a lot since then!R.A. Ribb Company: Ribb Rakes - Clam Rakes
http://www.ribbrakes.com/images/com/jerk1.jpg
The bump rakes as we called them used a harness, belt that went around my waist and attached by chain to the top of the basket connected to a 6' alum pole with a T-bar handle, some were adjustable, some were fixed. I would guide the teeth down into the mud and bump my ass back pulling the basket, we would walk backwards for about 10 feet per pull. The only issue was the teeth on the basket, I would snap 1 or 2 about everyother week.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
the pipes come in different sizes in diamiter from zero up to 4. You need to find what size t handle you have to add the other lengths of handle to fit inside each other.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
The company has grown a lot since then!R.A. Ribb Company: Ribb Rakes - Clam Rakes
http://www.ribbrakes.com/images/com/jerk1.jpg
The bump rakes as we called them used a harness, belt that went around my waist and attached by chain to the top of the basket connected to a 6' alum pole with a T-bar handle, some were adjustable, some were fixed. I would guide the teeth down into the mud and bump my ass back pulling the basket, we would walk backwards for about 10 feet per pull. The only issue was the teeth on the basket, I would snap 1 or 2 about everyother week.
Do they have a shop you can go to in Harwich? I would like to visit next time I;m there. I have an old setup you are talking about but never used it. We call them donkey rakes on Long Island.

Super Suck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Lasco 5' fiberglass
Do they have a shop you can go to in Harwich? I would like to visit next time I;m there. I have an old setup you are talking about but never used it. We call them donkey rakes on Long Island.

I never been to the shop, (haven't dug clams since '98) call them, the phone # is on their web site. We had 2 rakes, both my dad sold. Check your local shellfish bylaws for what is not allowed. When I was a really young kid we use to see the guys in Bass River using pumps, not sure if thats been prohibited yet.

R.A. Ribb Company: Ribb Rakes - Clam Rakes

scupper

Ensign
Blacktide,

RA Ribb has a shop. Give them a call. Super nice folks. Knowledgeable and really high quality rakes. I have a few.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I have a pocketbook rake they made but I never was able to do much with it. I use rhode islands most of the time. Havent been out much lately but I thought it would be fun to stop in and see the shop next fall when we have some wind. :eek:

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
I have 2 acres of lease bottom down here and I cover net my babies at +,- 40/sqft. This is the rakeI use to harvest 1" or better size clams, in waist deep or shallower water.
It's a ribb head with a custom handle. It has 3-4" catsclaw teeth. I believe they call it a "Virginia" harvester. They have some others which I have tried but this one works best for me.
I would not want to pull it unless I knew the clams were thick....it's a bear to pull but I can rake 7000-10k clams in a day (5-6 hours)FWIW Jo

clamrake2.jpg

clamrake.jpg

Last edited:

Mical

Ensign
deep sea fishing new york

I would snap 1 or 2 about everyother week.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom