Buoy Gear

waynebeal36

Ensign
Not allowed in the Northeast it was a limited access permit issued for east coast Florida only back in the 90's.

CM1

Ensign
It is allowed in the NE. Its a federal permit valid in Atlantic waters. It could be used in the NE. I dont know how long your run is?

most of them are used in SE Florida due to close proximity to fishing grounds

Last edited:

WRHardie

Commander
I'm unfortunately living in Ohio right now but bou
I couldn't find anything suggesting its "not allowed", I was under the impression the FLA guys went to buoy gear after the longline ban. The permits they bought (directed swordfish) after the ban came from NE guys mostly but didn't think that since the majority of permit holders are now in FLA that buoy gear is banned in the NE.

waynebeal36

Ensign
No.
Click on the blue PDF box on the link and pages 8 and 14 describe buoy gear and permits needed.
Also you need to look at the definitions of gear on page 11. The definition of handgear has several sub classifications with buoy gear being one and handlines being another and rod and reel also different.
On page 14 you will see the basic chart of what gear types are allowed under the HMS charter/headboat permit and as I stated Handgear is broken down into several different gear types.
I attached the PDF that is on the NOAA webpage.

Attachments

• HMS Commercial Compliance Guide_4_8_19.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: jim

jon3030

Commander
Boat Make
35' Five Islands
You can 100% use Buoy Gear in the NE as long as you have the permit. It’s a FEDERAL waters permit. I’ve done it and it’s not like FL where your buoys cover a lot of ground as they drift North in the Stream. The mixed currents in the NE canyons tends to scatter the gear and sometimes not take it very far so it’s not as effective.

chrishmcguire777

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Bruno Stillman
You can 100% use Buoy Gear in the NE as long as you have the permit. It’s a FEDERAL waters permit. I’ve done it and it’s not like FL where your buoys cover a lot of ground as they drift North in the Stream. The mixed currents in the NE canyons tends to scatter the gear and sometimes not take it very far so it’s not as effective.
It is legal With permit. Some People have had success with it in the NE Canyons. As with any type of fishing subtle changes in gear make all the difference.

Top Bottom