Bus Heater leak

hntrss

Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I have this new to me Duffy that I bought in the late spring and just started fishing. It has a bus heater, the standard one you see in so many boats. Yesterday I smelled burning coolant, looked and saw what was about 2 tablespoons of coolant that had leaked out of the unit, not out of the hoses or connections. Today it was twice as much. Unfortunately, whoever installed it did not put valves on the feed and return. So tomorrow, I am going to drain her down and install the valves. Are these units repairable, or do I just toss it and order a new one? Thanks.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Dunno about the leak but you could clamp the hoses and avoid draining the whole system down.

If its copper should be able to be soldered even if you have to damage a couple fins to do so.

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
If it were me, and it has been, I would clamp the hoses install ball valves and purchase a brand new heater or core if its available. It is one of the best pieces of mind you will ever buy, and its cheap enough.

hntrss

Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I would rather valve it at the engine once and be done with it, this way if a hose lets go I can still shut the valves. No big deal to drain it down, just take off the lowest hose on the heater and dump it in a bucket. Does Hamilton or Roses sell the core mike?

hntrss

Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Hopefully that's the one, that's a no brainer. Mounted in a wonderfull tight cabinet, no hope of seeing a model number without removing it first.

riskybusiness

1st Mate
Boat Make
35 five islands
just buy a new one... if u replace the core the fan will go...then it would have been cheaper to have a shiny new one....and make sure with those u turn the fan on even just for a second once a week or so or else they seize up then split when u turn em on, from sitting....people don't do that in the summer and buy a new fan every year....

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Is there a go-to heater that everone likes?

riskybusiness

1st Mate
Boat Make
35 five islands
heater craft is available through hamiltons and they seem to hold up pretty good. everyone around here uses them

hntrss

Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Reading the ad Travis posted from Hamilton, I would have to buy the new housing too since this is a way prior to 2004 unit. I am going to see what it costs in pieces as compared to a new one. Thanks

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
:DThank you Travis that's what I was going to reply with.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I do what I can

If you need a housing, just get a whole unit, better in the long run

And who doesn't run their heater during the summer??? Gets rid of all that pesky extra heat as you rocket down the course.

maineguides

1st Mate
I bought a core from hamiltons for something like $100 and it took all of ten minutes to replace. I did sand down the housing and spray painted. That took more time for the paint to dry than the sanding. Looks brand new now and you can paint any color you want

captainlarry84

Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Replace it and even in the summer keep the water flowing thru it the bus heater will then always disperse engine heat from the motor. Also good idea to turn the fan on every so often. Under no conditions use a stop leak fix into the coolant.

Pedlyr

Captain
Installing a heater on my Shamrock is on this winter's project list. I already ran the hose from the 350 engine into the cabin. Probably 6 or 8 ft for each hose. Will I need a separate circulating pump?

plowin

Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
As long as you have the correct in and out ports for your water lines you will not need an external pump, your water pump will move the coolant along just nicely. An external circulating pump could be added if you would like to have heat for a period of time after the engine is shut down. Just turn the pump on after you shut the engine down and it will circulate the coolant through the heaters core.

Top Bottom