Right...the drive line would be included in the 4 year old survey...or at least it should be...but a 4 year old survey probably has no relevance to the boat and drive lines current condition...if it is something you are serious about buying, put the deal together with a deposit pending a favorable survey....that would include a sea trial with the surveyor on board...also, your full deposit is refunded if the survey is not favorableA 4 year old survey is no good - agreed I’m not as concerned about the boat as I am about the drive line -
Its a starting point not reliable for the condition of the boat today. So, do you like the boat? I have to assume so, you drove a long way and posted on here about your concerns. It sounds like its in the water so you could:A 4 year old insurance survey that looks fine -
YesI recently looked a boat to buy that was in the water. The owner showed me the boat - not the broker.
The owner would not start the engine for me or take me for a ride?
After further discussion the owner who maintains the motor him self can’t recall how many hours since the last oil change-
But is sure it has been no more than 10 hours- I ask about getting an oil sample knowing the engine oil needs to be run for at least 20 hrs to get an accurate sample/ the owner states he will not put another 10 hrs on the motor to get to the 20 hr minimum for a sample.
Do I RUN away from this sale?
Well this guy I would say is a very nice person - not here to bash anyone. He didn’t seem to caring when I withdrew my offer - that tells me he may not have wanted to actually sell the boat - who knowsThe oil sample thing doesn't mean much to me. Unless there is obvious water/oil sludge in the recovery bottle or the bottom of the pressure cap then an oil sample really doesn't really tell you anything. It's more for commercial fleets to do comparisons over time. Traveling 6 hours and the seller won't start it is frustrating. It's more a sign of mental illness than anything else. "running it for a few minutes is bad". I have an uncle who every time he uses his car he parks in front of the house, opens the hood for an hour to let it "cool down". Wack job.
Seller can't really hide an engine problem for long if he expects to sell this boat. If you really like the boat stay away from this guy and deal with the broker. He'll know how the real world works. And if you want, tell us what it is and where. I'd like to know.
That’s what I did - I have a broker to rep me and told the seller that my broker would be representing me and the seller did not answer his emails or sign his contract the seller had no broker. Was selling it him self my broker sent cI would ask one very important question…”Are you representing to me that everything works as it should?”
If he says “Yes”, pull your deposit check out of your pocket and show it to him. Tell him that the contract MUST be conditional on sea trial and survey and it must say that the seller represents that everything works. And before you hand over the check you want to hear the engine run. Anything less than that, walk away. If it was me, I’d want a good broker involved, if for no other reason than he will hold the check in escrow.
I like Crabboater's approach. You definitely don't want to waste 4 weeks or more plus $1000 to find out the engine has major problems in the survey. A serious offer that includes running the engine for you pre-survey should do the trick.I am with Chortle, FWIW. this is not necessarily a walk away, IMO. I both bought and sold in 2021.
In general the rule is you do a static exam , maybe even on the hard. Come up with a price and deposit and then survey, with an absolute or near absolute right to walk away. Often you have never heard the engine until survey - I never have.
Sellers don't want to run their boat for every manure kicking Looky Louie who shows up, and the last ten guys to look at it might have been unqualified jerks - not your fault. So, declining to run the boat or take you out without a deposit and a deal does not offend me per se.
(yet...A really recent oil change can be a trouble sign for just the reason you suggest. ...so,How many hours were on that engine 4 years ago?)
You are buying a boat, not a new friend, and some sellers are odd ducks. so what.
do you like this boat and the pricing? if yes to both then maybe pursue some diligence with the seller on both of these: engine and oil. is he evasive? does he have a tale which makes sense?
after that you could easily say "look, Fred. I really like the SS Run Away if she runs like she looks and you say. But I don't want to waste your time or mine. If we make a deal the vessel is tied up for weeks, and you lose other buyers. If we make a deal and then the engine flunks I am out time and survey cost, and you lose time - we both lose. FYI, my surveyor is Sherlock Holmes, world's fussiest diesel guy, and my oil lab is former NASCAR guys. If there is a problem with that engine my guys will find it, guaranteed, so please know that up front. Do you want to make a deal at $x or not? let me know"
if i a Fred and I know my engine is trash I will flinch, dance or both. but if i am fred and i believe in my engine, i make a deal with you.
the other factor you cannot control is the Crazy Other Buyer - who will skip survey and swallow whatever tripe Fred feeds him. lots of COB's out there.
good luck either way!!
My thoughts exactly, that is one of the reasons why I bailed. I think it is completely out of line for a seller to expect a buyer to spend a grand put a deposit in escrow- to hear things run -I like Crabboater's approach. You definitely don't want to waste 4 weeks or more plus $1000 to find out the engine has major problems in the survey. A serious offer that includes running the engine for you pre-survey should do the trick.