BWFA letter to NMFS

dexterdog

Lieutenant
The Blue Water Fishermen's Association that represents most of the commercial pelagic longliners on the east coast has sent a comment letter to the NMFS HMS division regarding Bluefin tuna by-catch and dead discards. Their solution to the problem is to limit the General category to 3 fish per month per boat or to limit each permitted vessel to somewhere between 5 to 10 fish per year. This will leave more quota to cover the discard problem. They suggest that most of the U.S. quota should go to cover dead discards in the pelagic longline fishery and what's left could be distributed to the other categories. These people are out of their minds and need to be kept an eye on or we'll lose our Bluefin fishery forever. Keep your heads up boys they're coming after our quota and coming strong!!!!!

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Hand gear boss hand gear support your sustainable fisheries lets push for no longline blue fin at all

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
Rats and Cheese. All the rats are fighting for the last bits of cheese. In all seriousness, they must have their backs against the wall. This seems suicidal to me. They are admitting their dead discards are so great that they need the majority of the countries quota to cover it. Either that or a power play for more allowable take. I don't think it is a good idea in either case...........I don't want to see any more fisherman lose their lively hoods, but divide and conquer never works for any of us.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
here comes the BS,,fisherman against fisherman. don't we have enough enimies in PEW, CLF, and all the other nitwits? just once would like to see the U.S. fisherman stick together

lobster783

Lieutenant
pew

here comes the BS,,fisherman against fisherman. don't we have enough enimies in PEW, CLF, and all the other nitwits? just once would like to see the U.S. fisherman stick together
pew just actually came out and said that gbft caught with hand gear is the most sustainable type of fishery.

bobv

Lieutenant
The ABTA press release dated March 27, 2013 " ABTA, PEW and the IGFA work together on bluefin tuna management on Amendment 7", probably set Blue Water off. I recommend that you BFT guys read the release and think about supporting the ABTA on this issue. I know it was painful for them to agree to the alliance but it may be the only chance we have as the NMFS has been leaning heavily toward the longliners on this issue. Worth looking into.

pugsley

Captain
pew just actually came out and said that gbft caught with hand gear is the most sustainable type of fishery.

just give pew some time, they will come out in favor of hand lining only, but only on the third tuesday of every month as long it's an odd number day. they don't want anyone out there, big oil money at it's finest.

Reactions: jim

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
The government is well aware of the Bluefin discard and interaction while pursuing Swordfish, do not be fooled into thinking otherwise! NMFS would be more than happy to take our directed fishery for BFT and give it to the Pelagic Longline Fishery. It is only through our hard work and constant attention to details that have enabled us to,thusfar, avoid any completely devastating loss to solve there bycatch issue. I for one have no issue with pitting a fisherman against a fisherman when that same fisherman is taking from my pocket to fill his own. Longliners do us a favor, don't piss down our backs and tell us we are just sweating, we are smarter than that and will not stand for it. Although it is coming up this year if the Swordfish quota is having such difficulties being caught then why are there no Swordfish hand gear permits being given out? If the bycatch of Bluefins is not as significant as they previously insisted then real time reporting and 100% observer coverage should be no problem, I would think. In the last 5 or so years I have caught Bluefins with longline hooks in there mouths towing 100 or so feet of leader so I know that there is significant interaction since I personally catch a tiny, tiny percentage of the US quota.

As always the issue that has brought this to a head is Bluefin quota or the lack there of it. When the quota was larger there were more fish available for transfer to cover the Longline discards. Now that quota has become lean, regardless of scientific data showing robust stocks, there is little quota for transfer and the law requires all those discards to be accounted for.

The quickest but certainly not the best way to fix this problem would be to have the PLL fleet help us to increase quota levels for the BFT fishery in the U.S. but I am a firm believer that we are only kicking the can down the road. As Bluefin stocks increase we are only going to see more and more interaction with them. There has got to be another way.

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Yes, the most sensible thing to do would be to increase the entire quota to cover the discards and not mess w/ hand gear quota, but when does NMFS do anything that makes any sense these days? The current situation w/ sea bass in the mid-atlantic and southeast defies any logical thinking. These idiots make for more waste of fish w/ each new regulation. And the livelihood of fishermen is of no consequence to them.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
At the current, no pun intended(electricity), quota for the BFT harpoon fishery of 36 metric tons I have got to believe you are correct about it being one of the most sustainable fisheries.

greg

Captain
This whole mess just doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't target bft for sale.

So we have a problem with longliners catching, killing, and discarding bft. Their solution is to just cover the reduction to the fishery by taking quota from the gen category (presumably to reduce the number of bft killed overall); in essence trading fish going to market for fish going to the bottom.

Wouldn't it just make more sense to reduce the dead discards? If anyone should be penalized, doesn't it make sense to penalize/inconvenience the group causing the problems?

I'm clearly a googan and don't understand fisheries management however.

Just saying. No offense to the pll folken here.

Top Bottom