Calvin Beal 38

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Dave- Bristol Bay Alaska boats are limited to 32' in length. To get around the length limit, you have aluminum boat builders routinely building them 15' wide. 1 month ago I boarded the new 18'6" wide, 32' Aluminum Bristol Bay boat built by Pat Pitsch of Bellingham, Wa. that is pictured in the new National Fisherman magazine in the "around the yards" section. It's powered with twin 500 hp D9 Volvos with jet pumps. It's a 32' ship. You've never seen anything like it.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Wow, 32 ft, I did not know that but I believe the rule was 52' for seining in AK. It amazed me when I lived in Kodiak how big a 52' glass seiner was and I am sure an aluminum 32 is huge if built correct. What aboat other areas of the state for gill netting are they limited to the same length also?

Dave

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
VPC- sorry to highjack this thread, hope you don't mind. 58' is limit for seiners; that's where the term "58' Limit seiner" comes from. Those new steel 58' seiners from Fred Wahl are some of the most beautiful boats built. Bristol bay is the only fishery that I'm aware of that limits the length of salmon gillnet boats. False Pass, Cook Inlet, PWS, and SE are all unlimited. I've seen a 55'er gillnet Cook Inlet. Average size for Cook Inlet is about 36'.

Poco Loco

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
New CB 38 just out of the mold

CB 38 just out of the mold.jpg
Here is a my new CB 38 ready to ship to the finisher. I do not know alot about them except that I knew I wanted one after visiting SW in August. The 15' beam will be perfect for the walkaround layout with a pilothouse that I am planning. The boat will have an Iveco 750hp with a 34" prop. I could not be happier with SW and would highly recommend him.

CB 38 just out of the mold.jpg

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
750 hp with 34" wheel is going to be a rocket. Do you have some drawings of what your walkaround pilot house will look like? With a 15' beam, I think a walkaround house would be perfect. Do you have more pictures? That blue is a great looking color. Keep the info. and pictures coming. Looks very impressive so far. I'm drooling.

Last edited:

Eastporter

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
I like the design of your boat- it will be interesting to see a walk-around pilothouse. Keep us posted on the details.

Poco Loco

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
walkaround sketch

Iphone 10-20-11 1866.jpg
Here is a sketch I did for a rough draft. I am planning a closed back with two sliding doors on the sides.

Iphone 10-20-11 1866.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Do you plan on having the generator just aft of the engine or is that just a hatch to get to it?

swboatworks

Lieutenant
I am here, It is better to contact me directly through my website. I havnt had much time to check this out. This site is really helpful for folks to gain information. We are building a couple of 38 Calvin Beals right now. We are also building a 33 Young Brothers. The first one for many years.
Thanks a bunch for the compliments. These boats are a wonderful design and we are very happy to have them. Thanks again, Stewart

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Will that be a full walkaround or just the 2 sides?

Poco Loco

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
Cb 38

The walkaround will be on both sides with steps up to a 24" wide walk around the trunk house. Should be wide enough to make it up to the bow while fighting a fish. I don't want to sacrifice the space under the trunk house for a full walkaround.

CaptAlex

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' H&H
The new Poco Loco is gonna be awesome ... was the old PL the green Mirage? Good luck with the build, see you in the Harbor. (Dazed&Confused)

Top Bottom