Calvin Beal 38

Poco Loco

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
32' Mirage Pilothouse

Poco Loco photo.jpg
This is the 32' Mirage Pilothouse. Will probably be for sale in about a year.

Poco Loco photo.jpg

cptDans

Ensign
I am thinking of building a inshore tuna boat, but also a boat that i can take to Georges. i was thinking of either the 38 calvin beal or 42 calvin beal. Does anyone have any input on how these boats would to of this type of fishing.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
CptDans,

Welcome aboard, you are going to get lots of opinions here on this board but I would recommend you contact both Stew at SW Boatworks who can set you up on a ride on a 38' and a 42' CB and also contact Capt Dave of the tuna.com who will show you his 44'. When you contact Stew, set up a visit to his shop to meet him and see the production.

Best of Luck,

Dave

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I am thinking of building a inshore tuna boat, but also a boat that i can take to Georges. i was thinking of either the 38 calvin beal or 42 calvin beal. Does anyone have any input on how these boats would to of this type of fishing.

I would go with the 42'. Won't be much of a price difference between the two.

cptDans

Ensign
Thanks for the feedback. Was hoping to here from someone who has fished either boat for ride characteristics and comparisons to other hulls.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
Thanks for the feedback. Was hoping to here from someone who has fished either boat for ride characteristics and comparisons to other hulls.

Dave on tuna.com has been on numerous hulls, his last was a 37' Duffy. Powderpro has built several boats and is extremely knowledgeable. Like I said call Stew and arrange rides on both Calvin Beal and Young Brother Hulls. I am sure he can even point you towards others.

Dave

Poco Loco

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
IMG_9316.jpg
I went with the Calvin Beal 38 because of the 15' beam. Most 38's are 13' or 13'6" wide. I have an 11' wide house plus the Walkaround space on both sides.

IMG_9316.jpg

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
The boat looks great, can't wait to see more pictures once out of the shed. A very special fishing platform and know we want to see both exterior and interior pictures. Are you anticipating fighting Giants from the back or the bow or does it depend which rod goes off? Also are there aft controls? Great looking 38 CB, congratulations.

Also don't you also have a 34' or am I mistaken?

Dave

Poco Loco

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
38' Calvin Beal
IMG_9308.jpg
I am at the end of a 5 year project. I'm hoping to launch before the end of the year. I'll let you know how it rides. I've been on my friends 36' CB and he tried to make it slam and couldn't. I figured if the hull was good enough for the guys who fish everyday then it was good enough for me. SW Boatworks is great to deal with and Stewart always had the answers when any questions came up.

IMG_9308.jpg

Fishonnelsons

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.bethanncharters.com
First Name
Rich
Boat Make
38 Wesmac, 29 Dyer

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
View attachment 43469
I am at the end of a 5 year project. I'm hoping to launch before the end of the year. I'll let you know how it rides. I've been on my friends 36' CB and he tried to make it slam and couldn't. I figured if the hull was good enough for the guys who fish everyday then it was good enough for me. SW Boatworks is great to deal with and Stewart always had the answers when any questions came up.

What's that on the hull above the prop?

cb34

Rear Admiral

View attachment 2160
Here is a sketch I did for a rough draft. I am planning a closed back with two sliding doors on the sides.

I would go 24" along the pilot house. I built the same walk around design in the 34CB with 18" as shown in your drawing. 18" is not wide enough and with a 15' beam you have enough to work with.;) Just realized the boat has already been built...........

Last edited:
Top Bottom