Can anyone explain why? Packing Question

plumbcrazy

Ensign
Thanks to your help I found out I had a a regular stuffing box that was also engine fed. I pulled the packing this weekend and was totally confused. As you can see by the picture there were 3 different size packings . Looks like 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 inch .Is there any intelligent reason for this or just a lazy mechanic? I believe it should have 1/2 inch with a 1 3/4 shaft. The 1/2 inch was toward the tube with it getting smaller towards the tranny. Thanks

20210118_111854.jpg

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
don't waste your time trying to figure it out. The correct size should be the difference between the ID and OD. Usually 3 rings. I run each ring in greased up in teflon grease (gore packing) one by one using the packing nut to drive it home. It usually takes 3 rings be full. You can try to stagger the joints, but IMO it really doesn't matter. Some will also tell you to cut them at a 45 degree angle, that may be text book but a 90 is easier and works. Wrap around the shaft away from any device that may be affected by a mark on the shaft and cut with a sharp razor blade. Run the boat a slow speeds and tighten only a 1/4 turn each run, till you have a few runs in. It should be barely dripping by then. Basically a very safe dripless packing.

c1steve

Captain
I agree 100% with Genius, but I always stagger the joints. Also, as he mentioned, cut with packing with a sharp razor plade and definitely at 90 degrees.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Ditto those two, but would add to do it one ring at a time. Put one ring in. Tightened the box down then back it off all the way and add the next ring. I usually use 3 or 4 rings and put a couple extra in a zip lock bag, labeled, somewhere.
yes, that's what I do too. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. Good idea about the spares!

plumbcrazy

Ensign
Tight spot, really can't see to get a measurement between shaft and stuffing box . The biggest piece appears to be 1/2 inch so gonna order 1/2 Dura Max.I guess the worst thing that can happen is that I curse a lot and waste $60. Thanks to all

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Kailua Kid

Commander
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Tight spot, really can't see to get a measurement between shaft and stuffing box . The biggest piece appears to be 1/2 inch so gonna order 1/2 Dura Max.I guess the worst thing that can happen is that I curse a lot and waste $60. Thanks to all
Almost certainly the reason for the different sizes of packing was that the guy who last stuffed the box did not have enough of the right size and used what he had, or to slow the drip, just added a piece to what was in there without pulling out any (or all) of what was in there. Regardless, what Genius said above is how to know the correct size. Hardware store slide rule-type “micrometer” will suffice for that measurement. But if a half inch came out of there, then a half inch will go in there, and since that was the biggest size you found in there chances are good you have ordered the right size. Label the ziplock not only for size but type of packing, btw. Let us know how it goes.

Quik Fix 16

Captain
Boat Make
Shamrock
I believe that the way Diesel Jerry does it is correct. 65 years ago I watched the old shipwright just wrap the packing around 3 times. Thats what I do. Do as he says , not as I do. But it works.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Kailua Kid

Commander
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Thanks to your help I found out I had a a regular stuffing box that was also engine fed. I pulled the packing this weekend and was totally confused. As you can see by the picture there were 3 different size packings . Looks like 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 inch .Is there any intelligent reason for this or just a lazy mechanic? I believe it should have 1/2 inch with a 1 3/4 shaft. The 1/2 inch was toward the tube with it getting smaller towards the tranny. Thanks

View attachment 99874
Are you sure these are not onion rings? Looks like my dinner.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
I believe that the way Diesel Jerry does it is correct. 65 years ago I watched the old shipwright just wrap the packing around 3 times. Thats what I do. Do as he says , not as I do. But it works.
That's how I used to do my hatteras years ago. Wrapped three times continuous. Owned the boat for 12yrs, only had to change packing once.

Top Bottom