Canvas winter enclosures?

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
Any body have any pics of rear canvas on there house, Im just trying to figure out window placement, zip doors, etc.
I have an idea what I want three windows , canvas to floor with two zip doors on each side of generator box , and a cushion for gen seat.
Just wondering if theres some pics out there before I cut the check and commit. Thanks

gm back deck 1.jpg

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Surprised that I can't find any photos of how I have mine set up. I have two stainless steel poles (a little thin for strippers, but we work with what we have) that is the back bone of the drop curtain system. Simple velcro holds everything in place around the poles and across the top. The side curtains zip to the center, on the port side velcro holds the curtain to the side of the house and across the top. To starboard the curtain zips to the side curtain which is held in place with velcro and some snaps.

I held off from putting snaps on for the first few years, wanted to see how the velcro held up. Apparently there is something in the marine environment that doesn't allow the adhesive on the 3M velcro to stay in place for an entire season, it separates from the fuzzy half of the velcro half of the time, lets go of the gelcoat the other half. I would suggest snaps, kind of a pain but the curtains stay in place when you're cruising down the coast at 30.

When I bring the boat in and put her on the hard for the winter I will be sure to snap some photos.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
No center window. To hard to roll up, plus on rolling it takes a beating. I never run with the middle section down. The two side panels can be but are never rolled up. I also ran two 1 s/s bars deck to hardtop on the zipper line. It gives passengers something to grab and fall against other than the canvas.

Picture 4928.jpg

kcanvas.jpg

Picture 118.jpg

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
tunaorlater ! Hi ! love that winter cover.sick of shrinkrap and thinking of having one like that made up. so questions please

1. what is material?

2. how many pieces? one, two etc?

3. attachments to hull? any prob with snaps affecting fishing line?

4. did you do, or have made?

5 last...cost?

6. weigh?

thanks Tommy

Gundogs

Ensign
Boat Make
35' Bruno Stillman
Captain Tommy,
I have been using Top Gun material for years with great success. It will breath, tends to stiffen when cool and is heavy enough not to flap in the wind. It is slippery enough to shed the snow if you make the sides steep enough. Winter covers demise is the constant wind flapping and the weight of snow laying on top. Cost? The material is about $10-12/ yd for 63" wide roll. The labor is dependent on your local canvas shops. Good luck.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I am not sure of the material but I think it is sunbrella. It attaches at the bottom sides to snaps under the rub rail so no issues with snagging lines, in the back there are strings that tie it to my flat line eyes. Two pieces with a door on either side (that side was cut in after the pic) the entire back piece zips off and can be removed for bringing materials in. I bent a pipe and put it in the rod holders so I get about 5'6" all the way to the stern. Cost was $1200 last fall.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I have Sumbrells currently on a redo I would use Stamoid. No staining from grease or fishing.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Likewise - shrinkwrap at my marina is easly toossng 1K in the dumpster each year. i'm curoius also....

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Stamiod sounds familiar. What ever it is it is very heavy, should last a long time.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
thanks tuna....what are you using for supports? I use PVC now but not shure it would hold up other that shrink....

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Last edited:

Gundogs

Ensign
Boat Make
35' Bruno Stillman
Capt. Tommy,
I used PVC on my first tent, but the cold and UV will make it brittle. It collapsed in the snow on the second winter. The main probelm was the elbows. I bent the first bows, later using 45 elbows. I finally used 2x4's to tent frame it. I would recommend the 2x4's and have your canvas guy build you a fitted cover to match.

Top Bottom