canyon rod & reel recommendations?

offshore31

Captain
Gents

My boss is looking to rig his boat for some canyon fishing. Lots of guys at his docks did well on the BE's, but I'm thinking he should stick to 50lb class gear initially.

I haven't bought a new reel since the penn international II's, so i've been out of the game awhile and am not sure what to recommend to him. He's asking me about the 50vsw's. Any thoughts or comments on these? Any other options he should consider?

thanks
Joe

boot

Lieutenant
I've got a 70 VSW with 700 yards of 200# jerry brown hollow core and a 100 yard top shot of 130 momoi diamond,it's on a 80# bent butt rod and has landed quite a few Bluefin in the 250-500 lb range with no problems.

offshore31

Captain
is the 70 VSW comparable to an 80?

why 80's? in case of a BE or marlin?

thanks

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Does he want to fish stand up or out of the holder, maybe the chair? That will help pick a setup.

offshore31

Captain
standup. He doesn't have swivel rod holders or a chair. Initially he'll probably do mostly rec, i.e. run out for alby's on a nice day. But he does put serious hours on the boat, and is a pretty good fisherman, so i'm sure he'll add to his gear as he gets more into it.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
Just targeting yellows and albies, he could have 30's and be successful but 50's would be better as he expands later. When the yellows and Albies are on the flats I fish modified 16s and 30vsx's and have lots of fun with the small fish. With over 500 yards on those small setups it's no problem. No point in bringing out the big stuff for smaller fish.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Oh god... I see it now... last year with the bigeyes a couple of the center console guys... EXCUSE ME PLEASE GIVE me 1000 yards of space as this fish is out really far...

Now, there was one imparticular guy who was great when he was on a fish wanting you to almost drive right over so you could get some fish and if he didnt sneak back ontop of you... Worked great with this guy for half a morning... enjoyed doing that... When he called me over to him, I turned away at first, he said come here right now... That morning we worked very well together...

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Oops, meant to add those 70's do look interesting to me... I like the old school 80's I still fish a 80T from Lechmere's, god Im not even sure if I spelt that right...

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

offshore31

Captain
lol! don't know about the spelling, but I've got my old 50t from there too. was my first real reel, and my favorite.

He's not one of those clowns. He usually leaves the fleet and goes off on his own. And when i crew for him, we call people in when we're on fish.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
If getting new Penns they do need to sent out for some work to avoid possible problems. The biggest advantage I find is getting the drag cam worked to how you want your strike and max drag while being able to keep the reel from binding or crushing a bearing. If you can get a good deal on reels it's worth the money.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Dont forget fin-or and Avet reels. I personally like my old penns. Ive fished tiagras no complaints there either.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
The drag is much better then a penn buy far i love mine and would buy more wish they made 130 there great very light look great and seem to hold up so far just got this season so olny a few big fish on it but all bft dressed 400+ and she took them good love the 3.5to1 and 1.75 to 1 gearz

Top Bottom