Cap nut on helm

cb34

Rear Admiral
Whom ever put the cap nut on the helm shaft apparently messed up. I can not back the nut off. A mechanic suggested that I need the cut off the cap nut. Anyone have a better idea, thanks

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
If its not stripped hit it with pb blast let soak for ten minutes, then spray it again let soak a few more minutes and try again.
If this fails then break out the dremel tool and cut it off.

This is the approach i would take.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
How big of wrench did you try?Is this on a capilano or a power steering helm.If its on a capilano I would try not to damage the shaft,as it may be costly and more involved to replace.Seems if was put on with a wrench it should come apart with one,get a big adjustable and give it some torqe.You could try an impact,sometimes the hammering will loosen things.I know when you gall up a ss bolt with a nyloc nut the only options are cutting it off or snapping it off.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Hit it dead square with the biggest hammer you feel comfortable with, then try it. If that doesn't work, try the lubricant go, try some heat, cut it off if you must. I'd suggest scoring the nut completely in a solid line starting from one flat of the nut over the dome and onto the other flat, put your cold chisel right in the middle and start wailing.

Wear gloves, safety goggles and all that good stuff. Don't hit your thumb, that hurts like crazy.

cb34

Rear Admiral
nut

The nut moves approx 1/2 turn then binds. Used a big wrench no pipe yet. I was thinking pipe wrench on shaft of the capilano to apose?

RKrough

Commander
Boat Make
Midland 19
The nut moves approx 1/2 turn then binds. Used a big wrench no pipe yet. I was thinking pipe wrench on shaft of the capilano to apose?

Speaking from personal experience. I had the same problem on my Teleflex helm .I fk'ed up by using a breaker bar and a pipe wrench to try and horse the nut off. For that effort I broke the threaded portion of the shaft off . I had to drill and tap the shaft,then use an 3/16" allen-head bolt to hold the wheel onto the taper. Pain in the ass!

Use a Dremel and cut the nut.

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
I used an electric impact gun, but i bet the pipe wrench method would work. I was weary of messing up with shaft with the pipe wrench

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
put a piece of clothe inside of the pipe wrench,it will cut down on digging into the shaft.Don't hit the damn thing to hard you could mess up the seal,then you will have that nice looking streak that will go all the way to the platform.Do you have anyone to help you?Good luck.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
That pipe wrench will likely shear that shaft like nothing.
Be very patient and use some heat,pb blaster,low torque impact gun and then the dremel. If you can turn it a little bit that is a good sign because the dremelwill split the nut and it will just fall free from the threads. You have plenty of time its only the end of January.

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
If it will turn a little bit it could just have a bur in the thread thats holding it up? with a little PB and some elbow grease it should go. worst case if you have to chase the threads to clean them up once you get it free and clear.

Top Bottom