Cape Dory 28

Captmatch

Lieutenant
I have been quite impressed with the knowledge and craftsmanship of a good many of you here and have been a silent member of this forum getting ideas on boats, motors, set-ups etc. I thought I would share a few pics of what I have going on as I am always looking for advice and ideas. Boat: 28 Cape Dory Cruiser style (1986), 240HP Yanmar (2005 400 hours), purchased Nov. 2012, currently in my driveway for refitting as much as I can affort before launching in the spring. So far I have ripped out the ply floor in the helm area, replacing with nidcaore deck, doing away with picnic back and putting on winter back, arranging interior seating and putting on a hard sliding starboard side. Some new gadgets and fishing equipement (lights, rod holders etc.)

at dock.jpg

nida core 1.jpg

nida core deck 2.jpg

wise seats 1.jpg

wise seats 2.jpg

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
The Yanmar 4LH 240 engine is a sweet repower for that boat. I have a CD 28 with the Chrysler gasser and have continued to look for a reasonably priced Yanmar for the last year with no luck. Yes the CD 28 is a very well built downeaster.

Enjoy!!

David

cptnpete

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Morton & Hersloff/Webbers Cove 40, Forest Johnson Prowler 32 (for sale)
Hi Captmatch,

Sweet boat and nice work so far.

I have some (external) deck challenges to deal with where I am considering nidacore vs. marine ply vs. I dont know what so a few questions if you dont mind:

Is that nidacore prelaminated with 18 oz glass?

What is the thickness of nidacore you are using?

Will you be adding any more glass layers on top or bottom? If so what type of glass and how many layers?

What will you be doing to the edges?

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share, Cptnpete

Captmatch

Lieutenant
Hi Pete, must admit I am not doing the glassworks but I am staying close to the guy who is. The panels were glassed by him on both sides in his shop not sure from her if there is more glass or just gel coat but I'll tell you the things are stiff and light as hell. Thickness is 1.25 but was a function of matching the engine box height so the floor was flush all around. I think he glasses the edges. Keep you posted.

Captmatch

Lieutenant
Some progress on the rig. Nida core wheelhouse deck, two hatches in addition to engine box (now flush) was ~1 inch raised around rest of deck. Winter back and slider. Hard starboard side slider. Gave up on the pontoon seats. Not because they were bad quality but the boxes themselves didn't fit best with what I have going on. I am making a removable/hinged bench seat port instead. Full access below and wide enough to take a nap.

new nida wheelhouse.jpg

new strbd slider ext.jpg

winter back.jpg

strbrd slider.jpg

cptnpete

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Morton & Hersloff/Webbers Cove 40, Forest Johnson Prowler 32 (for sale)
Looking great. Must be exciting to see it all coming together. She will be like a new boat! Keep the updates coming.

Captmatch

Lieutenant
Thanks guys, I'm certainly excited and like the way it's coming out. Found a simrad nse8, some ld rod holders, rigid d2 light some of things from here

Tintdr

Lieutenant
I Love the CD,s great boats. My father owned a 86 open and it was a great sea boat in head on sea,s ... Never got wet... If you could, can you please post some numbers as far as speed and fuel burn shaft and prop size. I was thinking of Cape Dory when I was looking into a DE boat.. My fathers was Named ... Honky Dory... If anyone has seen her around id love to know how shes doing.. Thanks

Captmatch

Lieutenant
Hi, I don't have much in the way of perfromance #'s because this will be my first year with the boat. Prop is 18 X 17 and shaft is 1.5". Here are some progress pictures. Hoping to splash later this month

in driveway.JPG

LD swivels.JPG

storage locker.JPG

wheelhouse.JPG

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
i know there are some who have issues with nida core, but i have used it quite a lot, and find it to be a great product. i have used it on many customers' boats for bulkheads, and my own boat for cockpit and engine box. i agree that the sound down properties are impressive. i can't imagine paying coosa board $$ for a situation where nida core will do.

Captmatch

Lieutenant
I read all about the opinions here on the various products. The guy that is doing most of the work liked it alot and felt comfortable with his opinion.

finaddict

Lieutenant Commander
Website
stores.ebay.com
Boat Make
Nauset
Some progress on the rig. Nida core wheelhouse deck, two hatches in addition to engine box (now flush) was ~1 inch raised around rest of deck. Winter back and slider. Hard starboard side slider. Gave up on the pontoon seats. Not because they were bad quality but the boxes themselves didn't fit best with what I have going on. I am making a removable/hinged bench seat port instead. Full access below and wide enough to take a nap.

Please let me know about your bench seating on the port side. Measurements and pics! I have a Coastal 29 with a very similar layout and am planning to add a Bench seat. Work so far looks great! Keep up with the updates!

Top Bottom