Captain Larry Project Of The Year Award?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Just wondering if there is any interest in establishing the Captain Larry Project of The Year award? Not sure of any details, the thought just came to me. Although I never met him, I quickly realized that he raised the bar when it came to helping others with projects and providing good, solid, project advice. The only rule that I can think of is that most of the work must be done by the boat owner, in order to promote hands on involvement while avoiding the open checkbook approach. It's all about getting dirty and doing most of it yourself. I realize that certain parts of a project may require "professional assistance" whether it be from lack of equipment or skill level, which is fine. Just give credit where credit is due. All projects must have a complete build thread for the rest of us to follow. Any thoughts?

mcangelo41

1st Mate
Maybe post a badge somewhere on the front badge in his honor....Maybe we can make a donation to some org in his honor.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I have been thinking about this annual project award and have been trying to keep it as simple as possible yet make it very special. The forum members should vote for the winning project each year. But we have forum members scattered all over the place on both left and right coasts, up near Russia, in the tropics, and even down in the boondocks, so it's impossible to have an awards banquet once a winner has been chosen. Also, if we present an award to each person who wins the project of the year, it becomes necessary to purchase a new plaque or trophy every year. Then we have to worry about who is in charge of what, how much money does it require, and it begins to get somewhat complicated. I don't think we want to worry about any of that stuff. We just want to enjoy voting for the project of the year award while at the same time, honoring Captain Larry. So how do you handle that? After a hard days work on the boat and a few cold ones, I had another brain fart. What if we only have one single trophy made (that we all split the cost for), and it gets passed from winner to winner each year? Then the bragging rights really begin. And with the bragging rights come all sorts of photo opportunities. Say you win the award for some creative handywork. The next time you land a nice Yellowfin on the deck, you post a picture of it with "The Larry" sitting right next to it along with a cold beer. Or you just happen to stop into The Oar at Block Island, so you post a pic of "The Larry" sitting on the bar next to your Mudslide, overlooking the salt pond in the background. And lets not leave out any mermaid photo opps that may present themselves! We all know Larry liked his mermaids. The photo opps for the winner are endless and they can randomly wind up on any of the sections in the D.E.B.F. to rub it in the rest of our faces. Over the years, that trophy will travel all over the place and will get photographed in places or situations that we can't even immagine. This keeps the spirit of Captain Larry alive and well, while at the same time, creating comraderie in the forum for years to come. It's all based on the D.E. projects that Captain Larry loved and the hobbies that he enjoyed. You can win an Oscar for acting. You can win a Wally for drag racing, why not win "The Larry" for a nice project build? Call me sick and twisted, but I kind of like this idea. It's very simple, hassle free, and is still honorable to the Captain. Plus it will spur some interesting pictures both during and after a project build that we can all enjoy. Once the next winner is chosen, he who currently holds "The Larry" simply mails it to the new winner. Any thoughts? Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Throw the bum out? Sink his boat? :eek: Or maybe there is a remote possibility that you actually like the idea? :D

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
keep it simple, honorary award from the administrator on this forum

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
That was my original thought as well oldshell, which is why I posted it in the suggestion section. But with only 8 replies after over 500 views, who is to say that will happen? Besides, I'm really not trying to assign sole responsibility of this idea to anyone in particular. I don't know if that's a fair thing to ask of anyone. If the admin thinks it's a good idea, that's fine. If not, that's o.k. too. I think people view this concept from a much more personal level, which is definately different from the black and white technical stuff. So that's how I ended up with my last suggestion. We'll figure something out sooner or later.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I like the idea but say you have a couple incredible projects going, who is going to want to vote for one over another?? Just would worry that the format might make one person happy and upset some others?

Would love to see "The Larry" all over the place myself. Maybe it could be the next step beyond 5 stars for thread ratings? Then not so seriously debated over who gets one but still carries the Captain Larry weight.

Maybe "The Larry" if its to be invented, and I would hope the few that knew him really well would comment on this, could be an outline of him that could be in PDF format so we could print it and have some fun with it. Would be cheap and easy but still fun and celebrate him/light some fires here too.

Only talked to him 2x but what an impression he left.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
You may be onto something with "A Captain Larry" becoming the new standard for ratings above 5 stars.

RyanCT

1st Mate
Well we all know Larry was liked by everyone and liked to share his knowledge.

What if the Larry award was linked to likes? If some gives you good advice you click "like". Maybe if you earn a hundred likes you earn Larry status......or whoever gets the most likes in a year gets the Larry award.

Not sure if this is possible but could be an option.

Top Bottom