Carman 46

manni-yunk

Commander
I know, I know - Chesapeake boats are very different than a DE. That being said, they are closer to a DE than any other style.

The Carman 46 hull is being made by a reputable builder in MD. Anyone have experience with this boat? I know it handles the steep chop of the Ches bay well - but Ive been told that it is also seaworthy in the ocean with a big swell? Anyone been on one?

Seems to push REAL EASY if the current owners speed with given HP are anywhere near accurate.

Still leaning strongly to provincial (Really like the boat and builder) and visiting there in Feb - but - with this boat being built to CGI standards, seems to be a big plus for other uses or resale?

Thoughts?

pugsley

Captain
is it a plywood boat? my friend has a 38 plywood glass Carmen, 315 cummins 15-16 kt cruise, had a 300 jd with a 13 kt cruise, overall i like the boat, he works it everyday, takes weather as good as anything.

manni-yunk

Commander
is it a plywood boat? my friend has a 38 plywood glass Carmen, 315 cummins 15-16 kt cruise, had a 300 jd with a 13 kt cruise, overall i like the boat, he works it everyday, takes weather as good as anything.

Nope.

The builder does make glass over wood - but the 46 hull is solid Glass. Actually - he also has an option to have it virtually wood free.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
It's still a bay boat; where do you plan to go? Only nearshore waters or out to the edge? And yes, I know some guys have taken 42' deadrise boats out to the mega deep time and time again, but most of the of the smaller long liners are Downeasters, Novis, and Northumberland Strait boats. There's nothing under a bay boat compared to the rest, so they can be useful if you spend time in shallow waters.

manni-yunk

Commander
It's still a bay boat; where do you plan to go? Only nearshore waters or out to the edge? And yes, I know some guys have taken 42' deadrise boats out to the mega deep time and time again, but most of the of the smaller long liners are Downeasters, Novis, and Northumberland Strait boats. There's nothing under a bay boat compared to the rest, so they can be useful if you spend time in shallow waters.

I know thats the general assumption - but I was surprised when looking at the CARMAN hull. More under there than many/most of the DE boats that we all love.

Only difference is that the keel is not as deep.

Basically it appears to be a hard chined, Very soft V (not as flat as most DE boats), sharp entry boat with a keel - but not as deep of a keel as most.

There seems to be a lot of DE boats where the waterline to chine length (whether its soft or hard) is virtually non existent and most of the depth of the boat is keel.

I have recently learned that assuming that something is a NOVI, DE, Northumberland straight boat or Ches Bay boat - without looking at the specifics of each hull is useless as although they are broad categories - they are all VERY different. Some seem to blend into other styles of boats MORE than what they are actually classified as - which is what makes the search so difficult!

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Sea trial that big Carman out past 100 fathoms in some moderate to heavy seas, then sea trial a 46' Jarvis Newman, 45' Provincial, or such and give us a report of your findings. Or maybe even see how it stacks up compared to a 30 some foot Maine boat. That was my point. If you aren't going out there on a regular basis, then a bay boat might be fine and you can skip that exercise. A bay boat doesn't work for me where I go. It might for you. I know that new bay boats are pretty cheap compared to new Maine boats. I've had both and would much prefer a Maine boat, even a smaller one.

GLA

Commander
I have fished on a 50 ft evans, it had a pair of 450 cummins, cruised over 20 knots and was very stable at drift. the one problem I saw was that it pounded a lot when running

seemed like a solid boat, bone jarring but well put together

manni-yunk

Commander
I have fished on a 50 ft evans, it had a pair of 450 cummins, cruised over 20 knots and was very stable at drift. the one problem I saw was that it pounded a lot when running

seemed like a solid boat, bone jarring but well put together

Evans is a completely different animal.

I appreciate the feedback, but like I said in my prior post - just because they are both the same "style" (Ches Bay built boat), doesnt mean you can lump them all together in how they perform any more than you can every DE boat.

Ive been out 4 times on a 50 evans (Gypsy Blood in NJ) and I actually thought it took a large sea pretty well.

There are a decent amount of Evans fishing charter boats (38-50) that hit the Canyons or offshore wrecks quite frequently between NY and VA, I just dont like the amount of relatively unprotected wood they use in the boat.

Stil strongly leaning toward the 45 provincial - but the Carman hull is made in the USA and built to CGI standards, which is a plus so worth considering. The issue I am having to get past with the provincial is that part of the boat will be with a loan (probably 50%), and the loan typically requires a documentation, which means it will be tough if I want to eventually run 6 packs since with a Canadian built boat - the state registration is an easier way (VS recreational documentation) to run charters.

Ive been told that there are a few ways around this, but I havent been able to figure it out yet, which made me start to look in the states.

OR - just make the decision to never charter!

Top Bottom