Cetol or varnish over Semko base?

rlalaw

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Padebco
Someone told me that you can do this without cleaning or sanding the Semko and it still looks good...and that he actually prefers it..
Not to get into the Cetol vs Epiphanes debate (I like Cetol Natural Teak for the ease and look) .. does anyone have experience trying to put something over oiled teak? Horrible idea or not?

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
oil is a good base for varnish.
i couln't say if cetol would go over it well, since its not really a varnish in the traditional sense. you're not supposed to thin it or put on a sealing coat.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
I believe Cetol used to be called Sitkens correct? Penetrating varnish? If so I wouldn't try to apply it to oiled teak, better to use something like Mary Kate A&B teak cleaner first. It's an intense process, but the teak will accept the Cetol very nicely and will give you an extra season or two before having to seriously re-do the Cetol treatment.

LIFortier26

Ensign
Any time you change a finish on teak (i.e. go from oil to varnish or synthetic varnish like Cetol) then you need to remove the existing finish down to bare wood.

The Cetol is very durable and very easy to apply, probably the most durable thing next to epoxy coating teak followed by clear coating with a linear polyurethane like clear imron or so.

rlalaw

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Padebco
thank you. I was hoping for an easy way out, but it appears I have several months of sporadic work ahead of me......

2brits

Ensign
I used a minwax stain believe it or not under sikens cetol to darken the finished appearance on a rail I built out of merante on a center console. I had the merante from a previous project, figured I would try it, the wood sucks to work with, I should have used real mahogany. However the finish came out really nice and has held up very well. I had to darken the finish to match other woodwork on the boat and I hated the orange color when I tested the sickens alone.

Top Bottom