chain length?

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
What is the proper length of chain for a 36' NB? I need to get my chain/rode splice redone this week and suspect I have more chain than I need up front and I'd like to get as much excess weight as possible out of the bow.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
I cut mine so the anchor is just out of the water when the piece of shit hauler won't go from rope to chain. That way when it's stuck I can still move the boat. Got in a bit of a jam with a bridge once.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I have 2 lengths of 15' 5/16" chain on the end of the anchor line with a 45 lb danforth that I've been using during the races. Got quite tired of popping loose out in the mooring field and this seems to have solved the issue - for the most part.

liden

Lieutenant
There is no "one size answer fits all" here. I use 25' of 3/8" chain with a 24 lb. Danforth and need to switch to a 24 lb. Lewmar claw type with 30 feet of 5/16" chain in muddy bottoms.
My vessel is 39' long and weighs a heavy 32,000 lbs.
Scope of anchorline is most important.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I too have had the sitting in limbo experience of a splice caugh in the windless with just enough chain put the anchor in the props. Never again!

For the most part I intend to anchor in 30' or less of water.

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
What is the proper length of chain for a 36' NB? I need to get my chain/rode splice redone this week and suspect I have more chain than I need up front and I'd like to get as much excess weight as possible out of the bow.

LOL
You suspect correctly. There is about 50' of chain if I remember correctly.
That baby sets though!! LOL
All kidding aside, That 8 plait costs a fortune. When you are anchoring in rocks, the more chain, the less damage to the 8 plait. You see what the 8 plait looks like with all that chain. Imagine what it would look like with less

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
You dont need alot of chain...i have a double anchor set up with two 43lb hooker anchors and 6 foot of chain.....because i dont want the chain running into my rollers

163.jpg

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I trashed the 8 plait trying to get that 50' up out of a rockpile in windy conditions in maybe 30' of water. That of course led to the jam; the boat goes backwards; girlfriend at the helm (ugh) and me trying to hand pull the last 40' of chain!

No fun.

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
Larry,
Some of that chain was added & it wasn't Lewmar chain. Believe it or not, there is a difference. Find the welded link & cut it off. The chain connected to the splice is the original lewmar rode. It goes through the windlass easier & doesn't get jammed. The original chain was about 15-20'. The rest I added by cutting a link, heating it, twisting it and welding it back together. If you look close, you can find it. Cut it off and you'll have the original rode

Top Bottom