Changing from double lever to single lever engine controls problem

Saltydoc58

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
Ellis 28 Yanmar 6LPA STP 315HP, Parker 1801 Yamaha F115
Here is the model.

However, it seems no matter which single lever control you purchase- both control cables have to move the same way.

I believe I will have to continue with double set up for now until if/when I decide to reroute the gear cable to approach from the opposite way

image.jpg .

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Here is the model.

However, it seems no matter which single lever control you purchase- both control cables have to move the same way.

I believe I will have to continue with double set up for now until if/when I decide to reroute the gear cable to approach from the opposite way

View attachment 103540 .
I don't believe that, there must be a way.

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
page 5 of 12. Can't quite make out how the shift cable is secured. But the shift arm should be mirrored it says. It also shows examples of different setups that have push pull combinations. It's possible I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: look at the small diagram on page 5, right side. It shows the shift arm mirrored.

Attachments

• MT-3-Control-CH5300-5310-Rev.2-055001-578.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Saltydoc58

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
Thanks for sticking with this.

I looked over page 5- also lists two other motors that do have push and pulls for throttle/ gear- so you are probably correct.

The directions are challenging in this regard. I will keep at it.

EC57F0C4-372F-4B28-85AE-C2308D2115C9.jpeg

Silverheels

Lieutenant Commander
Website
kemillerllc.com
Boat Make
32' Wasque, 13' Boston Whaler
That control box can do any combination. You need to literally take it all apart for some of the settings. On a single engine setup the shift lever will be on the right side when installed. I will agree the instructions are poor but don't give up, you will figure it out. When I did my replacement I had the control box completely apart and carefully studied the diagrams till it made sense. Good luck.

Saltydoc58

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
Ok great- I will do the same and hopefully post results in the near future. Thanks for every ones help.
I am glad that total hips and knees are easier to install;)

jweir

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

Saltydoc58

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Robert
Boat Make
I did speak with Seastar yesterday and was put through immediately to technical service. They were helpful. The directions are truly horrendous given what they ASSUME you would figure out from the diagrams. Anyway- when I tackle this in the near future I will post a step by step.

Silverheels

Lieutenant Commander
Website
kemillerllc.com
Boat Make
32' Wasque, 13' Boston Whaler
It's not as bad as you think. Hopefully you do not have a push to throttle, it is a little more complicated than a pull to throttle. Because of the slight amount of play in the cable the idle adjustment is affected easily if the cable length is not set correctly.

BSEA

Lieutenant Commander
Rose's Marine can tell you everything you need to know about Kobelt controls.

GSVH747

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Wilcox 22 (The Only One!), and Highlander 20' Racing Dinghy
I am replacing an older Morse control unit with a single lever unit.

Upon opening up my original Morse controls I find the gear cable to be a "push" setup, and my throttle cable to be a "pull" setup.

However, the new single lever Teleflex I unpackaged today has the option of either BOTH push or BOTH pull.

So what to do?

1. Go back to dual lever control box?(Not my preference)
2. Order a single lever action that has more cable hook up options? (if they make such a thing)
3. Re-route the transmission cable from a push to a pull orientation?
4. Something else?
View attachment 103484
View attachment 103486
This what I have on my Wilcox 22 CC. This design has been around a very long time. We installed a similar model on a 1965 24 ft. Luger boat kit. When I got the Wilcox there was limited space on the center console and the steering wheel was more to starboard. In shifting into reverse, pulling the lever back, it was too close to the steering wheel. Upon inspection of the unit during total restoration, I noticed that the Morse unit shifter/throttle is universal and the lever can be located to either side. That was the simpler remedy of my problem.

Top Bottom