chartplotter for 17' novi cc with oversize console

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Can someone please recommend a 7" display unit with an internal antenna for a seventeen foot boat with an oversize center console.

I'd like to be able to do a split screen between fishfinder and GPS.

And of course, I'd like it come with everything. Transducer, flush mount kit, antenna, unit cover, etc etc AND be under 600-800 American

And I know some of you chaps HATE THE GARMINS so advice is appreciated!

Another note. it will be left on the boat and there's a mild chance it could be stolen. Would you guys recommend going ultra cheap and see how that works out?

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Thanks Tuna i'll go to the show tomorrow want to pound someone else's keys before I buy if you get my drift. Do you have a model in particular that you have or have used?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
The inexpensive Garmins are the way to go for a small plug and play recreational user. Lots of bang for the $. Very easy to use.

The guys who don't like Garmin (call them toys) when comparing them to Raymarine / Furuno for commercial use.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Thanks Tuna i'll go to the show tomorrow want to pound someone else's keys before I buy if you get my drift. Do you have a model in particular that you have or have used?

Raymarine has a booth at the show. Check out the dragonfly. It's smaller than 7" but it is a chirp sounder, optional plotter including the ducer for $650. Since FLIR bought them they are coming back.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
LOL @El Mar you're on the fringe here with the Macs and the Parker.

@Tuna thanks for the tip, I'll be looking for that this afternoon.

And thanks guys for the advice.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

bglhooked

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Mako, sold the Seaway, want a 30 Calvin Beal
I have had a garmin 440sx for a few years now and love it. Internanal antenna, transom transducer and no problems. I had it on my 19' on top of the console and it held up great. There are a few for sale on Craigslist in new haven. Might be able to save a few bucks.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

wiggy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 23
Raymarine has a booth at the show. Check out the dragonfly. It's smaller than 7" but it is a chirp sounder, optional plotter including the ducer for $650. Since FLIR bought them they are coming back.

The dragonfly looks like an awesome unit for the money. I'm also not a big fan of garmin so there could be one of these in my future.

Del

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Webbers Cove

...and from what I've read, the Dragonfly is designed be removed easily or locked-in with an optional Thule lock.

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
...and from what I've read, the Dragonfly is designed be removed easily or locked-in with an optional Thule lock.

And the ducer is a transom mount, not thru hull so that can go with it because as you know right now these CHIRP ducers are big money. The amazing thing about the demo was in a certain mode the bottom looked like a monchrome photograph, never saw anything like it. Looking forward to the CHIRP technology being affordable.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Okay I was talking to guy at boat show about the Garmin 740.

He was saying do a through hull transducer installed by them instead of a transom mount. Said it would give better readings become a part of the boat etc etc

It was 1000 for the unit, 269 for the transducer, plus installation (not sure how much on that).

The next generation's coming along the corner in a few months from what I understand do you think they will cut the cost on this generation substantially in the months to come? Would you go this route or do you think its too much dough?

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Okay I was talking to guy at boat show about the Garmin 740.

He was saying do a through hull transducer installed by them instead of a transom mount. Said it would give better readings become a part of the boat etc etc

It was 1000 for the unit, 269 for the transducer, plus installation (not sure how much on that).

The next generation's coming along the corner in a few months from what I understand do you think they will cut the cost on this generation substantially in the months to come? Would you go this route or do you think its too much dough?

I think it will be years before the CHIRP comes down. Have you talked to Chris AKA Wharfrat. I got some great deals from him and he knows all these units inside & out.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
I sent him a note a month or so ago asking what he recommended he never got back to him. Maybe I got lost in the shuffle, I'll send him a PM. Thanks @tuna.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I would not do a through hull on a 17 footer. Some of these sales guys are stupid..

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
It's going to be a lot more money including installation and I'll go out on a limb and say you don't need it. You started out saying you wanted to spend 600-800 all incl. That and a handheld VHF would be about all I think you need on a 17 footer.

I've had good results with transom mount transducers bottom fishing in the Gulf of Maine (up to 400'). Most guys install a through hull transducer for more power which equals better depth readings in deep water. But you have to cut a big hole in your boat which most of us don't like doing. And if you trailer like you might with a 17 footer then you could run your transducer up on a roller or bunk and maybe loosen it up, starting a leak.

I'd stick with your original plan. The 541S would be a really nice unit in a 17 footer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom