Chesapeake Classic 24 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by reynolds.mitchell, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM.

1. reynolds.mitchell

reynolds.mitchell Member

So I have been asking a few questions around here lately and really have appreciated all the help. The discussions and information sharing on here is really top notch.

I am starting a total rebuild of a 24 Chesapeake Classic. I picked the boat local from waterman who used and abused it her whole life. Transom is soaked, stringers mush and gunnel cap has more holes then swiss cheese. My plans are to rebuild everything and then add a cuddy cabin to the front. I am not gong to enclose the cabin just need something to take the weather off of me when the bay gets choppy. I'll try and keep up with my post as the build continues and will take any feedback along the way on things I am doing wrong. I have a general understanding of what needs to happen but very limited experiences.

20170814_231034.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    david, winterking and El Mar like this.
  2. reynolds.mitchell

reynolds.mitchell Member

So far the transom has been gutted and am waiting for a quote from a local boat yard on 1.5" Coosa. I made a template as the idea of cutting a sheet of something that expensive is a major concern. Not gonna lie, I underestimated the amount of work digging a transom out is. Much respect to those that do this for a living.

Attached Files:

jdickau484 likes this.
  3. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    Looking good. I've never seen the roof rack for pots before. Are you keeping that or sawzall??

4. reynolds.mitchell

reynolds.mitchell Member

Its going cause it just wood, however I will be replacing with an extended house top for the same purpose. Most of the workboats around here have tops similar for both shade and to haul pots.

Attached Files:

david, El Mar and Eastporter like this.
  5. reynolds.mitchell

reynolds.mitchell Member

So question for all you builders out there. After measuring the template, I realized it's just over 8' by about an 1 1/2". With coosa costing what it does I'm really trying to get away with one sheet of 1 1/2 for the transom. Am I ok cutting the transom shape and splitting the difference, giving me a 3/4" gap between the coosa and hull sides? Then making up this gap with thickened resin before tabbing, or do i bite the bullet and use two sheets spliced together? With the angle of the hull sides there will only be a 3/4" gap running vertically on both sides for about the first few inches.

6. kcassells

kcassells Captain

Phila Master Plumber
    Boat Make:
    This time Sportcraft 222 w/225 OB Johnson..wishing for a DE
    Use the 1 pc. and add wood with peanut butter to fill the side gaps. Not straight PB, add wood. Then that will get tabbed to the sides, bottom etc.
    Also scoop out a pc. on the bottom so you can add a bilge, garboard drain. That pocket should be filled complete with glass reinforced pb. Insert pc. of pvc while it's wet for the actual drain.
    Benefit is that there is no wood in the drain area.
    On another note the depth of the transom should be the same as what you took out to match up to your inny/outty mfg.'s motor specs for mounting.
    Here's some good reads;

1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics Page: 42 - iboats Boating Forums | 394579

1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics Page: 16 - iboats Boating Forums | 394579

7. leaky

leaky Captain

Just glue a strip of what will be scrap to make it a couple inches longer, or alternatively build it with 2 sheets of 3/4 arranged together so you do not have a seem running all the way through it and glue it that way - then cut.. Another option is I believe they also sell 10 foot sheets.

Or if the coosa is just so painfully/scary expensive consider doing a nice job with marine plywood and Vinylester or 2 part epoxy.. Marine ply costs much less than coosa and comes in 10 footers too. If done well it will outlive all of us.

8. reynolds.mitchell

reynolds.mitchell Member

Unfortunately the Coosa was ordered before I realized the exact length needed. The idea of glueing cutoffs was something that had not crossed my mind when I posted. It's a great idea, simple solution and one that I will be using. Its not that Coosa so outrageous that I can't feed my family however just really not trying to screw up expensive material. As far as using plywood, I realize that is a viable option and one that is still in play through the marine industry today. However, being a workboat and needing to drill several holes in the transom to mount equipment that I know will change at some point in this boats future, I want to reduce the chances of transom rot as much as I can. My hope is that my son can have this boat someday and not need to go through the same process. If composites will give me that chance, then they are worth every penny.

9. leaky

leaky Captain

What are you going to use for resins when you glass over the inside of the transom?.. What are you going to bed the coosa in when you set it against the transom outer skin?

Just asking that to give you an idea on the "glue" to use.. If you were going to glass w/ polyester or vinylester resin and bedding w/ hull & deck putty I'd glue your pieces on with hull & deck, not a perfect adhesive but good enough since you will be bedding it on one side and glassing on the other for instance.. If you were using epoxy then obviously that's your glue right there... Just I would not glue w/ epoxy then go about bedding it in hull & deck and glassing w/ a PE or VE since if there is exposed epoxy it could cause defects in the work...

There are of course also bedding & bonding compounds for bonding cores to fiberglass structures, ie core-bond.

Jon

kcassells likes this.
  10. south shore

south shore Senior Member

Millwright/Mechanic/Retired
    Boat Make:
    25 Northern Bay
    Just a thought.
    But if you lay your template centerline straight on the short side of the coosa panel the deadrise angle facing up may give you enough to get the same cut inverted on the top side. Then you will only have one seam in the center that you can PB. and glass up inside and out with no gaps to fill in.
    Remember measure twice cut once

11. kcassells

kcassells Captain

Phila Master Plumber
    Boat Make:
    No seam in the center, loss of strength. On another note I wouldn't waste my time gluing extensions on the sides of the transom either. Useless in my opinion....
    I would as I suggested add a filler in wood on the sides set in pb and glass it flush to the transom. You said it's only 3/4" max ea. side. A gluey add on wont do poop for strength.
    JMHO.

12. reynolds.mitchell

reynolds.mitchell Member

I fully understand the issue of epoxy and esters not mixing. However that is my plan. I am going to bed the coosa with thickened epoxy being very careful to clean up any squeeze out. Once cured I will go about making fillets and glassing with polyester. The way I see it. If I bed with epoxy, then fillet and tab with epoxy, when it comes time to glass and tab stringers to transom then I will epoxy there as well. I get the secondary bonding argument for epoxy and most believe that epoxy is the second coming of some sorts. However, I feel that given enough tooth and properly cleaned poly or vinyl ester will be just fine.

kcassells likes this.
  13. Quik Fix 16

Quik Fix 16 Senior Member

Fiiberglass guy
    Boat Make:
    Shamrock
    You can easily start a war with the epoxy cult. The whole boat is built with polyester. Your repairs would probably be good with polyester. JMO of course.

kcassells likes this.
  14. 22Cuttyhunk

22Cuttyhunk Member

If it is just a 3/4" gap on both sides I would fill it with the excess filler after putting the core in place.

kcassells likes this.
  15. kcassells

kcassells Captain

Phila Master Plumber
    Boat Make:
    Doesn't matter if he's using polywannacracracker or EEEPPPoooXXXyyy to make the bond of the transom. They all work. That 3/4' Gap on either side is a big nothing.
    The strength for the inny/outyy transom is putting down a whole pc. of ply with NO CENTER seam.
    You can mix up poly and epoxy but you need to get rid of the blush from the epoxy for the poly to bind. typically a nightmare to gelcoat a combination of both but has been done.
    It's the bilge so who cares how you paint or seal it.
    Personally I wouldn't mix it up but your boat so do what you want. Pick 1 and move forward with that product. Not a new conversation.
    Prep...prep...prep. :}