Chine in on hull design

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Looking for input and examples of hard chine vs soft chine.. displacement vs semi displacement..high sheer vs low shear..tumblehome..deadrise.. etc.. all the different downeast boat design characteristics..Specifically looking for Versus pictures with a shot of each.. not much online and I think its a good topic to define as these are talked about so much on here...here is a few mock ups but would like to see if anyone has some better pics of real boats..

deep-deadrise-hull.jpg

tumblehome.gif

170px-Chine_types.svg.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
Here is a quick one a Duffy 37 next to a NB 36, hard chine next to round chine. Both built down.

D37NB36.jpg

fishinwishin

Lieutenant
A hard chine is a squared turn of the bilge. Round chine is a curved turn . Built down is the ribs form the hour glass type shape and a skeg boat is more of a added piece of the boat to accept the running gear.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

fishinwishin

Lieutenant
Yes obviously, but how does this effect the boat compared to what you intend to do with it as owner/operator.
A owner would generally own a hard chined boat for stability and speed where a built down would be the slower boat with more comfort and weight carrying abilities. There is everything in between and every boat would have its own characteristics. Even boats in each catagory act differently.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
I don't have a good picture showing the built down on my 38' Duffy. Since it is out of the water I will get one this week.

Last Thanksgiving we spend in Maine. One day we went to see Kenny Flower. Below are two pictures of Kenny's 38'. Kenny said he had Spencer Lincoln design it as a built down skeg boat.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

fishinwishin

Lieutenant
Frigate, not sure that would qualify to be a skeg boat. Probably defeats the advantage of a skeg boat doin that.

HarborRd

Lieutenant
Frigate, not sure that would qualify to be a skeg boat. Probably defeats the advantage of a skeg boat doin that.
The most interesting description of this hull I've seen was provided by Blitzen in his build thread on noreast from a few years back, when he said something to the effect of Ken Flower and Spencer Lincoln were trying for a hybrid hull that took the "best parts" of the 37' Duffy and 36' NB and jammed them together into a semi built-down boat that would run fast and flat. Still never seen a pic of a 38' Flowers or a report on how one performs...I wonder how it would stack up vs. an NB 38'.

coddock

Commander
Not a stupid question but, NB on right duffy on left.
Holy crap...I never realized how much bigger the Duffy is compared to the NB...Thought visa versa;though my fav & I might add my dream boat is certainly a Duffy!!

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Holy crap...I never realized how much bigger the Duffy is compared to the NB...Thought visa versa;though my fav & I might add my dream boat is certainly a Duffy!!
The Flowers 36 makes the Duffy 37 look small. Side by side in our marina the 37 looks like a 35 Duffy.

boot

Lieutenant
The most interesting description of this hull I've seen was provided by Blitzen in his build thread on noreast from a few years back, when he said something to the effect of Ken Flower and Spencer Lincoln were trying for a hybrid hull that took the "best parts" of the 37' Duffy and 36' NB and jammed them together into a semi built-down boat that would run fast and flat. Still never seen a pic of a 38' Flowers or a report on how one performs...I wonder how it would stack up vs. an NB 38'.
Here's some more info from National Fisherman................

National Fisherman - Commercial fishing news, marine directory and classifieds

In Walpole, Maine, Flowers Boatworks has been busy completing its own hulls, finishing off hulls from other boatbuilders and designing a new 36-footer.
Spencer Lincoln of Brooklin, Maine, is designing the new boat. Ken Flower, owner of Flowers Boatworks, says that some aspects of boats such as the Duffy 37 and Northern Bay 36 will be incorporated into his new design.
Well try to pull the better points out of the Duffy 37, and keep structures from the Northern Bay, like a built-down forward end that comes back into a skeg boat, he says.
The first hull should be out of the mold by early September. The boat is being designed so that it can be extended into a 38-footer.
We want to build a 36 and then extend it 2 feet without frigging up the flow of water and be able to have it run real good and look real good, Flower says.
Most builders of Maine lobster boats market their designs to pleasure boat owners as well as commercial fishermen. Flower says theres a problem in taking a lobster boat that weighs 10,000 to 12,000 pounds and then adding thousands of pounds of extra equipment things like generators, V-berths and heads. You change the center of buoyancy. Thats why a lot of these lobster boats built as cruisers dont perform the way they should.
Flower and Lincoln are trying to design the 36-footers underwater lines so shell be able to carry the extra weight that a pleasure boat or a tuna boat requires.
Well build them to carry the weight, and then make lobster boats out of them, instead of the other way around, Flower says.

fishinwishin

Lieutenant
I haven't seen one either. Only internet stuff. I do know at least one Flowers 38 has been finished. That owner already sold and got another 38.. Maybe a Calvin Beal 38? I would give Blitzens opinion a lot of weight when he says what he thinks about a boat.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
I haven't seen one either. Only internet stuff. I do know at least one Flowers 38 has been finished. That owner already sold and got another 38.. QUOTE]

Fishinwishin,
Which Flowers 38 was this that sold already? Was it the lobster boat???

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Here is a finished picture of Ken Flower's first 38 that was completed by a yard in the Mid atlantic area.

38 bow.jpg

first 38.jpg

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay

I believe the NB is half way in the shop? My buddy has a 37 Duffy and I have a 36 NB, the Duffy is a little slower then the NB but it holds wieght better. Both seem to ride a good following sea and both throw about the same anmount of water. The helm area of the Duffy is definatly roomier then the NB.

Top Bottom