Chris: Raymarine Quantum Radar

Discussion in 'Precision Marine Center- Discount Electronics' started by CaptFred, Aug 14, 2016.

1. CaptFred

CaptFred Member

Raymarine Quantum Radar

Anyone have experience with the new Quantum chirp dome from Raymarine

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. Roswell

Roswell Member

Realtor
    Boat Make:
    Hinckley Picnic Boat EP
    I'm planning to install this on my boat with a new plotter in the next couple months.

Reviews seem to be generally positive especially at close range. Without going to an open array it sounds like a great option priced below $1600.. I'm sure some retailers are offering great prices now during boat shows.

3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    I would actually stick with Raymarine's magnetron equipped RD418HD vs. the Quantum. While the Quantum doesn't have a main bang like the traditional radars, it's able to do that considering the low power it uses to transmit. Unfortunately, while it can pick up a buoy 15' from the boat without the 'black hole' that main bang suppression causes, it really does suffer not only with its range, but also the strength of the echoes at short,mid and long ranges. I've been lucky enough to even go onboard one of Raymarine's demo boats that had a 4kW traditional pulse radar as well as the Quantum, and side by side it really was evident the differences. The Quantum was designed for the picnic boats of the world along with sail applications where power consumption is the primary concern. The ones we have installed have always been with both the data and power cables; if you do go with the Quantum I would recommend doing the same, as I just personally don't trust 2.4Ghz for such a critical tool.

I'll even go so far to say that almost everyone who is on this forum would be better suited going with the RD418HD dome vs. the Quantum, as it truly is a superior radar, especially for the applications of the majority of members here..

Of course, it's just my opinion, and yes the Quantum is a cool and functional radar, but with the price being the same as the RD418HD, I just don't believe it would be the best choice. Best of luck!