Circle hooks for shark, how well do they work?

MAArcher

Captain
If you saw my other threads you'll know I've never fished for sharks before but am going to give it a try this year. I got some Mustad 39960-DT size 14/0 hooks in the mail today (deal on eBay) and I'm skeptical with the tip turned in so sharply like that that you can hook anything with them.

Is there any tricks to make them work better or is it just a haywire twist to the wire and its good enough?

shark hook.jpg

archsea bunker

Lieutenant Commander
Dont block the hook tip with bait, you must use regular steel as per regs , Have a bolt cutters on board to cut the hook if possible, Dont strike the fish leave the reel in free spool or very little tension and the shark will hook itself as it runs with the bait, I dont hay wire twist right to the eye off the hook I leave a little play The circle hook plays a great part in conservation rather than realeasing sharks that were gut hooked Good luck.

MAArcher

Captain
I've been staring at them to figure out how they work. I think what I was failing to see is that they are entirely dependent on the fish turning away from you.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
I've been staring at them to figure out how they work. I think what I was failing to see is that they are entirely dependent on the fish turning away from you.
Tie them to a piece of line and make your hand into a fish mouth with 4 fingers on top and your thumb on bottom. Pull the line out so it pulls on the web of your hand as if that was the corner of a shark's mouth.
The circle hook with find the meat of the web of your hand and you will feel the point find home.

MAArcher

Captain
Tie them to a piece of line and make your hand into a fish mouth with 4 fingers on top and your thumb on bottom. Pull the line out so it pulls on the web of your hand as if that was the corner of a shark's mouth.
The circle hook with find the meat of the web of your hand and you will feel the point find home.
Yes, that's what I was doing to figure out that they only work if the fish turn away. I wondered who thought them up. Kind of ingenious I thought. Had to look it up, it was Australian commercial fishermen, 100 years ago.

Reelman955

Commander
First Name
Roy
Boat Make
New Boat 2015 24 Seaway w/115 Mercury Command Thrust/ Old Boat-2007 28 Seaworthy/BHM 315 Yanmar
Same as above. I usually leave the rod in the holder for the pick up with little drag. let it swim and eat for about 30-45 sec and then slowly and gradually slid the drag up to strike. comes tight, take out and start the fight. I too was very skeptical. they work great and almost always end up in the corner of the mouth. I rig mine to 6ft wire with the twist tool then a barrel swivel to 400lb mono. makes it easier dealing with the release boat side. My goal is to take one thresher or mako a year. after that, its just for fun.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
i started using circles for rainbows & dollies here in alaska, we used plastic beads that look like salmon eggs and the bead has to be fixed 2" above the hook. I was hooking way more fish with the circles, sometimes had a fish hooked as soon as the rig hit bottom and the line came tight on the float, i fish a centerpin rig. kenai 20 2.jpg kenai 20 3.jpg

mako239

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1987 28 BHM 210 Cummins
20/0 right in the corner.. I’ve caught makos, threshers and tigers up to 600 all with 20/0 circles.. Smaller sharks you can go with smaller hooks but I like like a bigger gap in the hook especially for the bigger fish. I rarely ever fish huge baits.

904B49FE-14DB-4ADF-ACBE-FA3BA8951274.jpeg

Haddock

Captain
First Name
Mike
Boat Make
23' Maritime Marine Voyageur
I believe that the key to circle hook success is patience; don't go grabbing the rod to "set the hook". The circle hook will do the work for you; I learned the hard way to count to 13 before touching the gear!

Top Bottom