Classic 29' Runabout Hinckley Yacht w/ NEF 560 Repower

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Here is a recent Hinckley Yacht repower where a Volvo D6 435 was replaced with an FPT NEF 560, top speed before was 35.5 knots, top speed after is 42 knots! Customer likes to cruise 36 knots and tow his kids in tubes and on ski's.

Specs:

29' Hinckley Runabout
HJ 292 Jet w/ 22kW impeller
ZF 280-1 - 1.139:1 ratio
FPT NEF 560 - 560 Mhp @ 3000 rpm
WOT speed - 41 knots against tide, 42 knots w/ tide
Cruise speed - 36 knots @ 2750 rpm.

Hinckley 29' Runabout_2.jpg

Classin Hinckley Yacht.jpg

29' Runabout Dash Layout.jpg

NEF 560 in 29' Hinckley Runabout.jpg

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Peter- When will the 6.7 be available to purchase in a A2 commercial 500hp version? Will that be the new NEF 570? Thanks
Available for purchase now, have been available since March. Feel free to order any time. Yes, it is the NEF 570 turned down to 500 Mhp, I tested it on this vessel also and we maintained 38 knots at WOT, but the impeller was oversized for the power of course.

Last edited:

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
2004 Regal 2465, 19' home built Downeaster
what is it that dose'nt qualify Hinckley as a Downeast boat. Is it the Hull config? The rediculas price? The over the top fit and finish? Just asking...

Joe D

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

daytripper

Lieutenant Commander
All of the above. You forgot about the owners. Real downeasters have wheels not joy sticks.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
All of the above. You forgot about the owners. Real downeasters have wheels not joy sticks.
Isn't this the Downeast Boat Forum? It is a downeast boat and has been recognized as the Downeast Production Boat of the year in 2012. Just because it has Jet drive doesn't mean that it doesn't have a wheel for controlling steering (see pictures), in fact in high speed mode everything is done with the wheel, unless you meant prop, in which case they also do build if requested. They have some propeller boats in SW Harbor and Portsmouth RI.

Not so sure about the delamination, I am pretty sure that they spend a lot of time in hull development and materials, in fact they have a very interesting process with laying up their hulls. They take people on tours of the Trenton production facility and have some pretty interesting video of their testing in very rough sea with the early production hulls. I have been on the tour, it was very interesting.

Hinckley has a lifetime warranty on all of their hulls, I find it hard to believe that they could do that and stay in business if they delaminate that easily. This is part of what you get when you buy a Hinckley, strong after sales customer support and great attention to detail.

The reason I really posted this is because anyone that knows anything about Jet propulsion knows that the impeller is nothing more than a water pump which in turn acts like a water brake dynomometer. SO, the data provided just shows that the engines are performing as expected and maybe then some. Plus, it is a really cool boat to ride in and drive around, if you can afford one of course or lucky enough to have the opportunity to drive one.

Peter

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Isn't this the Downeast Boat Forum? It is a downeast boat and has been recognized as the Downeast Production Boat of the year in 2012. Just because it has Jet drive doesn't mean that it doesn't have a wheel for controlling steering (see pictures), in fact in high speed mode everything is done with the wheel, unless you meant prop, in which case they also do build if requested. They have some propeller boats in SW Harbor and Portsmouth RI.

Not so sure about the delamination, I am pretty sure that they spend a lot of time in hull development and materials, in fact they have a very interesting process with laying up their hulls. They take people on tours of the Trenton production facility and have some pretty interesting video of their testing in very rough sea with the early production hulls. I have been on the tour, it was very interesting.

Hinckley has a lifetime warranty on all of their hulls, I find it hard to believe that they could do that and stay in business if they delaminate that easily. This is part of what you get when you buy a Hinckley, strong after sales customer support and great attention to detail.

The reason I really posted this is because anyone that knows anything about Jet propulsion knows that the impeller is nothing more than a water pump which in turn acts like a water brake dynomometer. SO, the data provided just shows that the engines are performing as expected and maybe then some. Plus, it is a really cool boat to ride in and drive around, if you can afford one of course or lucky enough to have the opportunity to drive one.

Peter
Oh, and don't forget the tumble home stern on all Hinckley's, I am pretty sure that also is recognized as a "Downeast Boat" trait, is it not?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Tough crowd here some days, Peter, especially when it comes to jets, LOL. No need to waste so much time defending yourself. It's nice to see someone posting performance numbers here on a regular basis, and your posts add a lot to the wealth of knowledge we have amassed here.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Oh, and I forgot, so I am certain that there is a Wesmac hull out there with twin engine and oh yes, Hamilton Jet's, so I am now wondering if this means that the Wesmac is no longer considered a Down East Boat, because they have branched out and adopted Jet's. I think that more than one has been built even. Just asking so that I have a more clear definition of what Down East Boat stands for moving forward. Thanks.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Tough crowd here some days, Peter, especially when it comes to jets, LOL. No need to waste so much time defending yourself. It's nice to see someone posting performance numbers here on a regular basis, and your posts add a lot to the wealth of knowledge we have amassed here.
Yeah, thanks, that is really all I am trying to do, is get people information and show some cool stuff at the same time. Guess everyone is a critic and an expert these days! Not that I am taking it personally but I really work on facts as an engineer, there is no grey area for me, sorry for that!

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Keep 'em coming. I love the numbers- especially real performance, and I know a lot of the other guys here do too.

pjitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
2004 Regal 2465, 19' home built Downeaster
The Hinckley's are awesome looking boats. I'm not intrested in a work boat[already have a job], I just love the look of Downeast/Lobster boats. Now if someone can come up with a boat similar to Hinckley at a more reasonable price, I would be very intrested. Hope I did'nt hurt anyone's feelings...

Joe D

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil

I agree with Petrel, don't waste time defending yourself. Keep posting what you want, everyone else does. Isn't there a hull with a car on top running outboards participating in the lobster boat races??? If that qualifies, then a jet powered Hinckley should too :D.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
I agree with Petrel, don't waste time defending yourself. Keep posting what you want, everyone else does. Isn't there a hull with a car on top running outboards participating in the lobster boat races??? If that qualifies, then a jet powered Hinckley should too :D.
Thanks again for taking an interest in a constructive way!

Top Bottom