Cleaning Oil from Bilge ?

TwoRivers

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM Flyepointe 32' 1989
My boat has some old oil under the engine. It is very hard to reach , a Cummins 5.9 BT . I want to clean under the engine,but at 6'2" and 220 lbs it is hard for me to get under there. I have ordered some 3m oil absorbent pads and a product called CRC / Marykate Big Bully Natural Orange Bilge Cleaner that you pour into the bilge, and then pump out. I don't have any leaks that I know of, but want to clean it up so I can investigate. Any ideas on how to tackle this project ?

OIL 011.jpg

Last edited:

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I had an oil dipstick blow out on a Carolina Classic about 10 years ago. It has an engine pan w/ limber holes down into a hidden and inaccessible space under the pan where a large amount of the oil ended up. Mopping up the pan was ugly but doable w/ absorbent pads. I ended up perhaps doing 10 cycles of a quarter of a bottom of bilge cleaner, a 5 gallon bucket of warm fresh water and an idle ride out to the sea buoy outside the harbor where I would drift for 10 minutes; let it all slosh around and then come back in and pump it out with a suck pump.

After 10 cycles it was diffuse enough to treat normally; ie soap, water and bilge pump while underway.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Whenever I have a big oily mess like that ,or exhaust smoke,I start out with a little diesel fuel.It cuts the oil soaked into the glass and diesel cleans up easier with detergents.No aresol and vapors to breathe.It only takes a small amount.

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
thats pretty messy so this might not work but wont hurt either. I have had very good luck pouring Simple Green into my bilge to clean it through out the season. Pour a whole gallon of straight Simple Green on that mess and let it soak. It's biodegradable so you could pump it out. it's $8.99 at Homey Depot

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Word of advice about Simple Green; never EVER under any circumstance deploy this substance out of a bug spray bottle. It's terrible.

And whatever you do, don't mix it with bleach, no matter what you're trying to clean up.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
all ya need always have a can on board. Spray it on let it work a bit & hose off with some fresh water.

P1301133.jpg

P1301133.jpg

Captlvb

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.missbarnegatlight.com
Boat Make
235 Kencraft
I am doing this right now on the aluminum PB I run. I am using the Gunk, CAT brake cleaner (acetone based) and mineral spirits. Super Clean is an awesome product but not for use on the aluminum or painted surfaces so be careful under the oil pan. Have fun! I am almost done with the starboard side and then over to the port.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Engine Gunk works great. I would get a gallon of full strength engine gunk. Cut the gunk as directed and put it is a garden sprayer. Let the mix soak for a good period of time. Next I would get in there with a power washer and blast it good. Once done and pump out out. I would fill the bilge area with a strong mixer of Clorox & water. Let the bleech soak overnight. The bleach will remove the last of the stains. Pump it dry & hopefully you will nice & clean. Bleach is a wonderful finial step to the job.
Even on my glecoted deck when It gets a little tire and good bleach bath does the trick.

Top Bottom