Cleaning turbocharger

LittleGidding

1st Mate
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
Wilbur 29
My Yanmar 6lya operators manual says to periodically clean the turbo by spraying a cleaner slowly into the intake side, but doesn’t specify the cleaner, the frequency or the technique. Does anyone do this? Using what and how?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I've seen the product. I don't believe they sell it anymore. Basically soapy water. You could probably make it up with some Dawn and follow the instructions. My understanding it was to clean the aftercooler fins.

ThePartsGuy

1st Mate
Website
www.merri-maryachtbasin.com
First Name
BILLY
I actually just was asked this by another DEBF member. Yanmar still sells their turbo wash but only in gallons. Which for the DIY guy is a lifetime supply. Contact your local dealer and see if they might sell it by the ounce.

Turbo wash PN 974500-00400 (Gallon)

***please be aware this is a S.O.P. sheet from Yanmar. Actual field application may very and when possible should be done by a trusted marine mechanic*** #notmyfault #yourturbonotmine #becareful

1656331250966.png

LittleGidding

1st Mate
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
Wilbur 29
But…. Does anyone here actually do something like this? Actually run stuff through the intake / air cleaner to clean the turbo?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
But…. Does anyone here actually do something like this? Actually run stuff through the intake / air cleaner to clean the turbo?
You can achieve the same results (or better) by cleaning your after cooler. Lots of people do this on the site, every 2-4 years?

A company I used to work for did this (turbo wash) as a service item. Easy money maker IMO.

Last edited:

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
So the issue is not primarily the turbos impeller, but the airways in the intercooler?
IDK, mostly. You see a little buildup on the turbo compressor but it's mostly just slight discoloration IMO not causing any harm. Though....deposits on the air fins on the AC does produce resistance to flow, decreasing usable boost to the engine.

Brooksie

Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
I do this yearly by spraying Fantastic or 409 cleaner into the running turbo on both my diesel car and boat. It seems to remove the layer of black from the from the intercooler mainly. I don't go through the air cleaners but Do keep fingers and rags well clear.

hunttr

1st Mate
First Name
Brian
Boat Make
Dyer 29
I just did this on my yanmar 4lh 240 hp.I took the air cleaner off but probably not necessary.I used yanmars product that I got a couple of years ago.I also did it last year. I took the aftercooler off in the early spring and went through that.I was kinda targeting the oily black buildup on the turbo intake fins.I haven't actually inspected the fins yet to see if it helped.Turbo was was working fine before the cleaning and I didn't notice any change on boost guage.

Last edited:

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

diesel

1st Mate
Lite User
First Name
Ed
Boat Make
Mussel Ridge 42

LittleGidding

1st Mate
First Name
Joe
Boat Make
Wilbur 29
Thanks for all the info! So it sounds like direct, off-the-engine cleaning of the intercooler is the most important thing. And of course simply using lime-away flushing will not get at the air side of the intercooler. So…hmmm. I’m wondering if I can even get my intercooler off my engine, it So completely fills the engine well.

A00C83D6-562E-4519-965D-69D1EB3CF3F2.jpeg

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

ThePartsGuy

1st Mate
Website
www.merri-maryachtbasin.com
First Name
BILLY
6LY intercooler parts break out for reference

Also it might be prudent to clean up the galvanic corrosion on your starboard side transmission cooler and the surface rust on mixing elbow near the turbo clamp. This will save you some money down the road! lol

Attachments

• 6ly intercooler.pdf
    138.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Wayfarer

Deckhand
I did it to my Yanmar.if I remember correctly it’s done at WOT. I think is done every 250 hours. I had a 4LH in my Dyer 29

southshore30

Admiral
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Top Bottom