Closing Steelwagen

F/V Bad Influence

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Dec 4, 2013
Posts
187
Likes
44
Boat Make
Wayne Beal
NEFMC meeting in Danvers 16-18 DEC. closing lots of area to fishing on agenda unless we stop the Sanctuary assholes now. write letter or attend.
 

F/V Bad Influence

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Dec 4, 2013
Posts
187
Likes
44
Boat Make
Wayne Beal
looks like Dec 16th is public comment time at 1:15 after lunch. location is Doubletree at Hilton in Danvers. Curious to see if there will be a turnout
 

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Posts
181
Likes
61
Location
Frisco, NC
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
Good luck on stopping them. They are moving on expanding the Monitor Marine Sanctuary off Hatteras and had several public meetings over the past years. First they denied it was even on their agenda to expand, now it is in the NOAA budget.

In my opinion, the public meetings and comment periods are a joke and they have no desire to hear anything other their propaganda repeated. Even though i think the process is totally one sided you still need to appear and make a position statement so you at least get it on the record.

I do hope they do not restrict fishing rights in stelwagen as what they get away with in one sanctuary is replaced in the others. They have lots of our money to work with to get their agenda pushed thru.
 

CaptDave

Captain
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Posts
923
Likes
444
Location
MA
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
About to head ou the door to the NEFMC meeting with the Habitat Discussion going on today where one of the proposals is to close 55 NM on the southern part of Stellwagen Bank to recreational charter party ground fishing boats. The council did recieve a few hundred letters in opposition of this plan and without surprise I heard several thousand in support which many are from people in the science and tree hugger world who have never even been to the east coast never mind depend on this area to run charters or make a living.

I do have prepared comments and hopefully get to address the council. Once the sanctuary gets this in the area will grow and grow and grow, the sanctuary will expand to Jefferies Ledge because the enviros will say it is good for the whales and fish. Then they will shut down the whole area for fishing.

If this is approved it will go to public comment and we will need everyone on this board and who fishes to oppose the closure. I know there are some commercial fisherman who think this is a good thing because they have been shut out of the entire GOM for many years. It is a sad state of affairs we are in and unfortunately we only look after our own interests and not the interests of the entire fishery.

I think if this happens the 30 to 40 charter boats that fish the bank on the weekends in the summer will be the 30 t 40 boats anchored in the fleet tuna fishing.

Have a good day and if I get a chance to report tonight I will write a brief post on what happens. Have a good day and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Capt Dave
 

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Joined
Dec 6, 2012
Posts
1,725
Likes
502
Location
Gloucester mass
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
This is tords the com guys they want to close this to mobile gear the rec guys should be fine it will be like the western gom closer rec can have free rain and com is no go.
 

CaptDave

Captain
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Posts
923
Likes
444
Location
MA
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Attended yesterdays New England Fisheries Management Council meeting in Danvers. During the morning the chairman let it be knownm that they have recieved many lettters in oppostion of the SERA. The SERA now has a new name DHRA (Dedicated Habitat Research Area). They ran through all of the motions for areas from northern Maine to the Great South Channel, WGOM and Georges. Lots of questions and this led to no vote taking place on any of the Habitat Areas. The can has been kicked down the road until the next meeting in January.

They also mentioned that the recreational exceeded their 2013 Haddock allocation by 300% however don't know where those fish were caught. Sounds kind of fishy to me because with the increase in size for haddock retention I know the boats fishing Stellwagen did not have any banner days on haddock. The Recreational Advisory Panal will be meeting to discuss this and the DHRA issue soon if time permits for a meeting.

The Sanctuary Superintendent stated this research area was important because the recreational sector takes approximately 36% of the GOM cod. Well that means the Commercial sector lands the other 64% and this is what the NEFMC says both sectors are allowed to land based on the hard TACS that have taken place.

We will be asking recreational anglers where ever you fish to help us support defeating this research area because once in it will grow and grow and eventually be the entire sanctuary. Stay tuned for a template and have a good day.

Respectfully,

Dave
 

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Joined
Dec 6, 2012
Posts
1,725
Likes
502
Location
Gloucester mass
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Attended yesterdays New England Fisheries Management Council meeting in Danvers. During the morning the chairman let it be knownm that they have recieved many lettters in oppostion of the SERA. The SERA now has a new name DHRA (Dedicated Habitat Research Area). They ran through all of the motions for areas from northern Maine to the Great South Channel, WGOM and Georges. Lots of questions and this led to no vote taking place on any of the Habitat Areas. The can has been kicked down the road until the next meeting in January.

They also mentioned that the recreational exceeded their 2013 Haddock allocation by 300% however don't know where those fish were caught. Sounds kind of fishy to me because with the increase in size for haddock retention I know the boats fishing Stellwagen did not have any banner days on haddock. The Recreational Advisory Panal will be meeting to discuss this and the DHRA issue soon if time permits for a meeting.

The Sanctuary Superintendent stated this research area was important because the recreational sector takes approximately 36% of the GOM cod. Well that means the Commercial sector lands the other 64% and this is what the NEFMC says both sectors are allowed to land based on the hard TACS that have taken place.

We will be asking recreational anglers where ever you fish to help us support defeating this research area because once in it will grow and grow and eventually be the entire sanctuary. Stay tuned for a template and have a good day.

Respectfully,

Dave
Dave the guys out of here got them to the east of here by the cove in the spring.
 

CaptDave

Captain
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Posts
923
Likes
444
Location
MA
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
I know that is what is so good about G Town, you can head in either direction. East, Northeast or to the Bank. We do not have that luxury and have to deal with what is between Tilles (Long Run) or down to the backside (east of Highland). The whole fishery is just mismanaged and we can thank Jane for screwing up a good recovery.

On a sad note a dragger today by the name of Lydia and Mya lost a guy overboard and they are searching now. We need to keep him and his family in our thoughts and prayers and hope for a Christmas miricle for this fisherman.

Respectfully,

Dave
 

CaptDave

Captain
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Posts
923
Likes
444
Location
MA
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Just sent you a PM, let me see if I can find out more
 
Top Bottom