Cloth or Mat?

smitty

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Mannino
Rebuilding pilot house on my Mannino. Spoke to Joe from Merton's and he suggested 10oz cloth over mat. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

100_8306.jpg

100_8307.jpg

LadyMaureen

Captain
Boat Make
Wesmac
I would think Mertons is a great source for this info. I agree cloth will be stronger although a little tougher to work with. I have used biaxal for my last few projects and was pretty happy on all levels. I use Reinforced Plastics in Farmingdale. Ask for Craig (great guy).

Good luck.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I agree that mat is by far stonger. However it is much harder to work with. It appears that your house is constructed of ¾ plywood. Therefore you already have given the vessel great strength. If it was my build I would therefore go with mat. Most likely two layers inside & out. The process will go faster and the look with some fairing compound will give a nice finish. Re-enforced Plastics is a good start. If you need a second opinion I would also talk to Warren at DynaGrout
http://dynagroutfiberglass.com/default.aspx?pageId=1

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Mat

2 layers of mat. Layed up together so they dry as 1 piece, and butt the seams rather than overlap if you want a smooth finish since it is 2 layers.

LACI GALE 31jc

Lieutenant Commander
pre cut the mat and lay them at the same time, roll the resin on your plywood put on the first piece of mat wet it then put on the second piece wet it then use the metal roller to roll out the air .

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Worded better

Laci gale said it better.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Smitty,

Can you send some pictures of the inside of the wheelhouse...

In the fwd corner are there any supports? Might be looking to do the same shortly...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom