Clumps in fiberglass resin

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I went to use some resin i have and when pouring out some it had some small crystal looking lumps in it ? The resin is whats left over from the split house job and is still in the 5 gal bucket so should i strain it to get rid of the clumps and store it in smaller containers like gallon jugs ??

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I've had product for over 10 years that was still viable, sure it was a little thicker and had a crust on it, but once you broke through that hard candy shell and exposed the ooey gooey center it was all fantastic. Putting it into smaller containers agitates everything and exposes more product to oxygen, which will hasten the issue. Just keep it in a dark, cool (shouldn't be too hard in Alaska right?) environment and you should be able to keep it around until your next project. A piece of window screen might make a good filter. Maybe tomorrow I'll snap a photo of my red gelcoat and you can see what a small container does to things.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Left over red gelcoat from $upplement. I have a dinghy from this, some used in my dash as well as my boot stripe. And other projects over the years.

Crusty, but still viable underneath.

0430130935a.jpg

Westcoast guy

Ensign
In the past I have heated some old resin that had slightly crystalized to about 120 F and that solved the problem for me. I am not sure if you can do this with all resins, maybe check the manufacturer recommendation about it.

Top Bottom