CMS Tuna Rods

Outbounder

Ensign
I am in the market for a pair of 130 bent butt rods and came across these CMS Chatam Special rods. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the rods quality and performance as they are priced quite a bit less then comparable rods.

cpt.josh

Lieutenant
Boat Make
26'6 Prokat Badkittytoo
the cms rods are great. but ive forgotten if he builds with winthrop tool guides or aftco. if youre having them built i'd spend the extra cash and get the W/T guides.​

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
not massed produced, a quality handmade, anyway you want rod. aftco, winthrop guides.. whatever you want.
been dealing with them for over 15 years, all of my charter rods, and commercial bft rods come from them. they stand behind everything they build.
call and talk to charlie or eric, tell them what kind of fishing you do/ type, they will set you up with gear that will last and you will be glad you bought it.

CaptAlex

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' H&H
They build them with PacBay components - if you want AFTCO butts or AFTCO/WT guides the price comes up ...

Tuna Hooker

Lieutenant
I agree with the others. I've had mine for about 4-5 years and they've been great. Their very easy people to deal with and they'll work with you to build you just the rod your looking for and If one happens to break, and we all know giants break gear, they stand behind it.

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
they were turning about 12 new rods last week when I stopped by. They have a new -to-me location right at the bridge in New Bedford. Nice new shop and it was a sight to see 12 new rods being made.

Outbounder

Ensign
The Bud's on me.

Capt. Alex -Tuna Hooker - Chum Pot -cpt.Josh - starrfish -

Thanks for the heads up on CMS I called this morning and they had a sale going on store stock and I ordered 2 Chatham Specials with the winthrop guides at a great price ..Bob and Eric were great . Looking foward to buying theirin person soon. hopefully.

Thanks Again,
Outbounder

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
Great rods and guys good luck with them hope there 130 Chathams and not 80s bend them not break lol good luck tight lines and bent rods
Shawn

capt.dan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Topaz
I have 6 of CMS rods, love everyone of them. Built well and perform great. If you can swing it go with the Winthrop guides, I didn't get the 8footer specials cause I thought they were to long. My friend went with the 8fters and he got a 88 incher last year and the rod tip was in the water for most of the fight. Great rods, you'll be happy with them.

boot

Lieutenant
Great rods and guys good luck with them hope there 130 Chathams and not 80s bend them not break lol good luck tight lines and bent rods
Shawn

Isn't the whole Chatham Special idea about being an 80 class rod fitted on a 130 class butt?I wasn't aware there was a 130 class "Chatham Special".

Reeleasy

Ensign
Boat Make
Grady White
Take a look at Reel Easy Custom rods reeleasyinc.com. I'm not tying to push you into my rods just take a look. Cms also makes good gear. I build w calstar blanks, Winthrop and alps guides (imported high end lower price) and Stuart butts. no aftco. Aftco's are a stamped ss guide and do not have recessed rollers. More money for less guide
Also we use Stuart butts. If you want "Chatham" specials cms designed that style of rod. Tits basically a 130 or an 80 just extra long. The 130 XL is 7' the 80's 6'6". Calstar makes a 7' blank but IMO too long for and soft for an 80

Latest Posts

Top Bottom