Coast Guard Manditory dockside exam

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Ok, as you know,or should know, as of this past October anyone who plans on selling any fish must have a dockside saftey exam like you get when boarded. not doing fish count, or nets, or size. All saftey equipment. raft,epirb,emersion suite etc. Well one of the things you have to have is a FCC radio licence. The FCC web site is a pain in the A$$. I would post a link for everyone, but I just plain suck at doing that. Thought that this would be a good beginning for all here to start this conversation with any and all links to make it easier for everyone.I DID search site with no results.This exam used to be voluntary, it's now manditory.

I do know that the Fish Safe info page has a ton of stuff, but I can't link:eek:

Last edited:

Tunascapes

Commander
As of right now you only need an FCC license if you are documented. State registered vessels are not required. Also state registered vessels are only required to have an IBA for a survival craft and this lets you cover unlimited distance from shore. These requires are much different than a documented vessel.

Just figured I would share state boat requirements because there is a decent difference and things that I have been dealing with for this inspection. I do say as of right now because there is apparently new safety requirements coming in a year or so that will eliminate the differences in the state registered and documented.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
That was the nice cost savings advantage to the General Marine 26...

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Just got my sticker three wks ago after being warned when boarded at Georges. Examiner was anal and would only certify my boat for up to 50mi because I did not have the right red flares for over 50. He never asked for a VHF license but did make me call his cell with my sat phone to prove it worked.

Helen L

Commander
For those of us here on the Cape call Kevin Coyle 508-294-5517. He's in New Bedford and does the inspections around the area.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Just a quick FYI, they do inspection if your on the hard too.....it all about the "saftey" stuff.....might as well beat the spring rush...
:D

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Het Chris whaf rat! can you comment on the FCC requirement? please?

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
OK mission accomplished! got my sticker today....:D

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Hi guys. New to the board from the great PNW. There is a helpful iPhone study app, FCC EXAM PREP. Hope that helps.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Way to go Tom, glad you got it today. As long as you take time to read the requirements it is not too hard to pass

Dave

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
thanks Dave...can't believe how bad it is to try to deal with the FCC though,,,,they returned my phone call one week later.....try that in private sector...least the CG guys answer their phonecalls..as you know

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Just got my sticker three wks ago after being warned when boarded at Georges. Examiner was anal and would only certify my boat for up to 50mi because I did not have the right red flares for over 50. He never asked for a VHF license but did make me call his cell with my sat phone to prove it worked.

So does that mean if you have a sat phone you dont need the FCC licence???

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
What I was also wondering and would like to know since the examiner never asked for the FCC license or mention that the Sat phone will cover the rule. He just asked for my backup power source for communication that is neccesary if the bilge gets flooded cutting out the batt. I mounted my gen Batt under one of my cabin seats above the genny, with a coil of wire long enough to reach my VHF, with alligator clips to cover this rule and my arse. To be truthful, this is the first I have heard that it is still required not that that means anything.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Believe it or not...my extra battery is in a tough spot to reach.....coasty was thinking more about engine fire,as opposed to flooding, as far as battery location is concerned,,,,so the answer was====buy a hand held VHF.:eek:

You guys mite want to make a note of this....you have to keep a log of the saftey drills you conduct. As Master/owner of vessel that means me. Will be attendeing the training session in Glouster when held. friend went to chatham when they had a 2 day class and he learned a lot

I guess that, that is not bad in lew of fox lady episode today.

bluefin650

Commander
Believe it or not...my extra battery is in a tough spot to reach.....coasty was thinking more about engine fire,as opposed to flooding, as far as battery location is concerned,,,,so the answer was====buy a hand held VHF.:eek:

You guys mite want to make a note of this....you have to keep a log of the saftey drills you conduct. As Master/owner of vessel that means me. Will be attendeing the training session in Glouster when held. friend went to chatham when they had a 2 day class and he learned a lot

I guess that, that is not bad in lew of fox lady episode today.

I will be using this manual for my safety log.
http://amsea.org/pdf/Emergency_instructions-drill_manual.pdf

Quite a few years ago, I took a class called
"Survival Equipment, Procedures and Onboard Drills" in Cundy Harbor Maine.
From "Onboard Training International" out of Orr's Island Maine.
I can't find any info on this company anymore. The card said that it meets the CG requirements for "Fishing Vessel Drill Conductors".
Any one else Familiar with this?

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I have a handheld VHF and backup Gpirb in my ditch bag along with other items since I value my sorry arse. Last time I had the dockside a couple yrs ago, the examiner asked for a backup batt source in the event of fire or flood even though I always carry a handheld. Maybe rules have changed?

reelsportfishing

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.ReeltoReelSportfishing.com
Boat Make
1999 40' Young Brothers
I don't think a hand held will suffice if you're fishing Georges. I may be wrong but I think they require either a satelite phone or a ssb. This is just second hand info handed down from a friend that was boarded at Georges. The problem is I don't think the Coast Guard knows all the rules either.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
There is some very interesting points on here for sure. I'm in the middle of mine right now but its taking forever to get the name on the hull and was waiting for the sticker on my EPIRB etc.

I do alot of work with the USCG working on ships and what is amazing is how different inspections can be from one place to another and one INSPECTOR to another.

I dont have the whole story but from what I can understand congress really stuck it to the CG after their lackadaisical handing of the tugboats and their new regulations. I think that might be subchapter M, not sure. We'll they never put a date to implement it for a drop dead time. So this time around with the fishing boats they got their date right away. This I got from our past inspection on my last ship by the USCG in Florida.

Top Bottom