Coastal 24 House Modification

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I have a 24' Coastal bass style boat with an old worn out lace on top and a crusty old aluminum frame. I can make a new polished stainless steel frame and nice hard top (simialr to a Fortier 26), and then have someone make a new enclosure for it, but the teak windshield is very weathered and needs to be removed from the boat and rebuilt. The top of the windshield is right in the middle of my line of sight when the boat is under way, and it can actually obstruct my view at times. So while the wife is glued to Dancing With "Some Kind of Reality Stars", I made a few sketches of what I might do to the boat instead of the usual hard top routine. The proposed house has 6'-4" of headroom as shown, which I thought was alright and looks proportional with the boat. It will have three windows across the front instead of the two that exist on the current windshield. This solves my windshield dilemma and vinyl enclosure problem as well. A simple backdrop will close off the house. Adapting the 3 window windshield will be a challenge because the deck is designed specifically for the 2 window style, but I have a plan for that, and I think it will turn out fine. I'm looking for feedback on the styling. I kind of borrowed some lines from the Duffy 26, but it's a little different. What do you think?

Coastal 24 Before And After.jpg

Pamlico

Lieutenant
Boat Make
1979 SISU 22, Perkins 4.236
Yea... Yea... Very nice! I might give the front more of a slant back to equal the slant of the lower cabin.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I will be doing it myself. Wynn windows. There is no rush to get it done so I can take my time and make sure it turns out right......or rip it off and start all over again. LOL When the time comes, I will be sure to post pictures.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Looks like a great project. Have you considered two larger windows instead of three?

Roy-c

Commander
Looks great. What are you planning to use for material? Are you thinking foam core, balsa, maybe nidacore ? I have Wynne windows and love them.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Thanks for the good feedback! I am concerned with the weight, so I will research the good, bad, and ugly of what's available. Nida has my interest at the moment, but I am not ruling anything out yet. I would be glad to hear about any experiences with various materials. JKP - I am partial to the three window look. Coastal made a two window house that looked alright, but didn't really do it for me. Just my personal choice there. I have plenty of time for this project because I will be running my other boat for the next season or two. When all is said and done, I want this done right. If I get the results that I am hoping for, then we'll talk diesel power after I sell the other boat.

JDTOOM

Lieutenant Commander
Looks great, you'll extend the season with that design. Two negatives that I found with the wheelhouse roof cantilevering out toward the cockpit: you'll get small spider cracks in the gel coat where the top returns to the side walls and it makes it more difficult to design and install the winter back enclosure. Although I think it looks great the way you have it sketched. Good luck.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Have to agree that 3 windows looks better on a hard top than two.

What about the side decks? How much width do you have now?

Can you post a pic of the boat as it is? What do you do with it?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
At this point I have not done anything to it other than remove the crappy anchor light on the windshield and fix some wiring in the bilge. It is primarily a day boat for fishing and relaxing, but you can do a weekend trip on occasion without any problem. The lobster top will also involve a complete refinishing and new color scheme.

Coastal Passage 026.jpg

Coastal Passage 021.jpg

Beamie

Commander
I agree 3 windows looks better than 2....I like an odd number....BUT I don't know if the boat / top is big enough for 3 windows?

The deck width in the area of the new top side is about 6-7", not allot, but enough. Put loop grab rails atop the house.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Beamie - I think I can get the three windows to fit nicely, but like you said not by alot. Definately will have the grab rails atop the house.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Looks great, you'll extend the season with that design. Two negatives that I found with the wheelhouse roof cantilevering out toward the cockpit: you'll get small spider cracks in the gel coat where the top returns to the side walls and it makes it more difficult to design and install the winter back enclosure. Although I think it looks great the way you have it sketched. Good luck.

JDT - You have a good point about stress cracks. I have a trick up my sleeve for the radius area of the house to hopefully avoid that issue. But I will first have to determine what my final choice of building material will be.

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
Beamie - What do you have for head room under that top? Your front window arrangement looks much better than that of the Coastal version lobster house.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Stirring the pot up a little:D How about forward leaning windows westcoast style ?? would give you some extra room for electronics/radios/switches. I had forward windows on my Henriques and really liked it.

Beamie

Commander
Beamie - What do you have for head room under that top? Your front window arrangement looks much better than that of the Coastal version lobster house.

Not sure exactly but guessing about 6'2-4. I can measure it tomorrow. The second year I had the boat I changed the windows. I took out some old plastic frame windows and cut the holes about 4" deeper. Then just got some rubber channel and cut some lexan windows....yeah looked much better than original.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I dont know about the 3 windows on that boat Keelboater. Only reason I say that is because I think they will end up much taller than they are wide which might give the boat a funny look from the front and will def add more wood/glass for you to look around. Not to mention buying or making another window.

Can you draw it to scale from the front?

Top Bottom