cockpit controls

Seaweags

Lieutenant
looking for info on how to hook up second steering station in cockpit i plan to build box off back of wheelhouse on a 36 wayne beil for wheel an controls also hauler not sure how to tie controls an wheel into system also have auto pilot on main helm . thanks !!

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
What type of steering do you have?

Seaweags

Lieutenant
hydraulic wanna say hydronautic i believe is name brand ill have to double check but i do know that it has a tank with hydraulic an air with about 20-25 lbs of pressure

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Not sure about what is necessary for your steering as all my boats have had hydroslave power hydraulic steering. For gear shift and throttle I have had to make brackets to add a second cable.

Seaweags

Lieutenant
where do brackets go? are the rite on trans or do you adapt them to cockpit controls then run single cable to transmission, in other words control levers move together no matter where you shift from

Bawugna

Lieutenant
My boat used to have a station in the stern. It was conventional steering which does not matter much as the station sat right over the rudder and there was a tiller attached to the rudder. The shift and throttle were simply run using an extra set of cables from the rear station to brackets attached to the trans and carburator. The brackets looked as it they were an item you could buy (teleflex?) off the shelf.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
2 sets of cables to both transmission and engine is the only wy I have ever seen a second set of controls done. Yes both controls will move at the same time, just like any fly bridge boat.

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Don't know if they still make them, but Morse controls did make a control box that accepted a set of cables from the motor, and then also sent a separate set of cables to the second Morse box. The second Morse control box was just a standard one.

That's the configuration that was in our Fortier, and most of them that have the rear controls as far as I know.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Don't know if they still make them, but Morse controls did make a control box that accepted a set of cables from the motor, and then also sent a separate set of cables to the second Morse box. The second Morse control box was just a standard one.

That's the configuration that was in our Fortier, and most of them that have the rear controls as far as I know.

They are called junction boxes they are a pita to adjust. If i ever need another one i'm going to rig it up on a flat piece of aluminum so it can be adjusted easier.

Last edited:

Roy-c

Commander
Control cables

The problems with running the second set of cables to the first control box instead of the trans and engine are that first they are a pain to adjust but more important is that if you lose the cable from the first box to the engine or trans you lose both sets of controls. If both run to engine and trans they are independent of each other

Seaweags

Lieutenant
thanks for info guess i have my work cut out for me this winter . will try an post some pics once i start

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
Kobelt makes a master & slave control that work together. They are really nice but expensive. You can call their customer service and they will spec it out for you then call Hamilton Marine and they will get you a good price. If you want to spend that kind of money.

Top Bottom