Cockpit or engine room cameras on dash display?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
New electronics have an input for a camera and I am thinking of a rear facing camera just for fun really but it could be useful in tight spots at night since I think many of them have a night vision option. Also good to keep an eye on the kids but just a toy really.

Thinking of something like this on the back of the hardtop overhang. Wonder what the range might at night- how far away it would start to "see" things. Anyone?

Iris Im-Dnd-60 Miniature Dome Camera - Ntsc

My boat is not really big enough but you could have one in the engine room or anywhere really. Just a cool fun thing to me anyway.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I ran a big Viking to Nantucket several years ago, it had four cameras in the engine room, one on each side looking at the front of each engine, and one on each side looking at the back of each engine. Best idea I have ever seen. You blow a hose, engine fire, ect. and you can see it and act before it gets out of hand. Cockpit cameras are for fun, but what's going on in the engine room might just save your life.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Maybe that would be the route I would go- just exploring the option now.

WHat cameras were in that boat? Any idea?

GLA

Commander
I was on a big hatteras back in november and they were all rigged with cameras also, 4-5 in the engine room, looking at the engines and generators

two on the outriggers looking back, and one looking back at the center cockpit.

cool stuff, plus a flurr night vision looking forward on a remote.

they all plugged into the dual screen garmins that were huge. flurr had it's own screen

way to expensive for me, but if money is no object they are nice

I just looked at the link you posted, I wonder if you could get a couple of those cameras to plug into a laptop
or an old computer screen?

Last edited:

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Mud if you and Bos boatman had a camera in your helm I can only imagine what you would have on it!

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So once you have these camera's all over that DARK engine room how do they see ?? Guess then you have to buy the movie lights to go with the cameras ??? Then either buy a generator or more batteries to power all that new stuff :D For me its just watch my gauges and take a look down in my engine room once in awhile & listen to how she's runnin' oh one more thing follow my nose :eek:.

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
Don't know what brand the cameras were, they were low light cameras, no need for engine room lights to be left on, and their not expensive. A window for the cameras was set up in the upper right corner of one of the displays at the helm. If your looking at the displays for navigation info you can't help but notice something wrong in the cameras. On a boat that big, by the time you smell smoke, or hear something wrong, it might be time to deploy the raft.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Don't know what brand the cameras were, they were low light cameras, no need for engine room lights to be left on, and their not expensive. A window for the cameras was set up in the upper right corner of one of the displays at the helm. If your looking at the displays for navigation info you can't help but notice something wrong in the cameras. On a boat that big, by the time you smell smoke, or hear something wrong, it might be time to deploy the raft.

I would think cameras that work in low/no light can't be cheap and we are talking about set ups for 30-50 ft boats here, not big bucks sportfisherman/yachts. I'd think on the bigger boats they have a engineer who's sticking his head in the engine room regularly ??

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
How about some LED ER lights for the cameras.... Cameras are nice. I don't have them, but I won't disparage them. I was on a big boat that had an engine room fire years ago. We would have known something was amiss sooner if we had cameras. He has cameras now.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Mud if you and Bos boatman had a camera in your helm I can only imagine what you would have on it!

Put it in the head for my wife and her friends lol.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
So once you have these camera's all over that DARK engine room how do they see ?? Guess then you have to buy the movie lights to go with the cameras ??? Then either buy a generator or more batteries to power all that new stuff :D For me its just watch my gauges and take a look down in my engine room once in awhile & listen to how she's runnin' oh one more thing follow my nose :eek:.

Amazingly most of these little cameras have some sort of night vision built in.

I am putting a simrad nss7 in the boat and the mercruiser vessel view system which are both made (coincidentally) by the same company and have the same housing/buttons. Each allows the input of a camera so I thought I would think out loud here about what I might do. Think I can put the image off to the side on each display too its not like I will be staring at it. Honestly never had any electronics and couldnt care less since most places I go are in LI Sound and the destination is in sight when I leave the mooring...

I think I will put one on the back of the cabin top looking at the cockpit to see if I use it. So much shit out there to divert you on your way... this one sounds like fun tho.

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
Can get IR lights that will see in the dark in B/W then go color if you put engine room lights on. Low Lux cams will not see in the dark. You need to check the resolution specs to compare when buying and do not need the name brand of your electronics for it to plug into your display since its analog and will work with any RCA jack input. A simple 700TVline IR cam(would not go any lower) is around 60.00 or if you get variable field unit to adjust to your view, its 95.00. If you get a name brand sold by what ever electronic MFD you have that usually has much less lines, and its 300.00 or more. Most use Sony internals and just about all are made in China. I am in the, ok if you want them, but alarms and eye ball for me. If there is smoke or a leak, it would be hard to see it any how unless you know of a trouble spot to point to plus most units only have 1 or 2 inputs at the most. You can set a TV up to see many but info overload?

Northern bay

Lieutenant Commander
I have a ER camera hooked into my NS 6100. I believe it's a speco camera with night vision. I have it pointing down at the oil pan/trams/bilge and it's completely visible in the dark. Just recently I noticed some unusual water in my bilge when I was up at cruise ended up being a loose collar on the drip less bearing. Had I not had the camera I would not have known there was a leak.

We'll worth the 100-200 bucks for a camera. You can also buy a switch and install multiple camera that operate on a timed sequence.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Its amazing how inexpensive some are.

GLA

Commander
I like the idea of putting one looking back over the cockpit. On the 42 ft I run
the cockpit is 18 ft and the house is another 18 ft. so looking back at the lures when trolling would be a plus. as now I have to turn around and have some blocked vision in a few spots. the guys in the cockpit are usually sleeping or looking at something else not paying attention to fish in the wake, would be nice to run the boat and not have to keep looking around to see a fish up, or weeds on a line

I can't tell you how many billfish we have missed in the last 5 yrs because the guys are not paying attention. and downeasters with those clean wakes do raise a lot of fish.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
I like the idea of putting one looking back over the cockpit. On the 42 ft I run
the cockpit is 18 ft and the house is another 18 ft. so looking back at the lures when trolling would be a plus. as now I have to turn around and have some blocked vision in a few spots. the guys in the cockpit are usually sleeping or looking at something else not paying attention to fish in the wake, would be nice to run the boat and not have to keep looking around to see a fish up, or weeds on a line

I can't tell you how many billfish we have missed in the last 5 yrs because the guys are not paying attention. and downeasters with those clean wakes do raise a lot of fish.

See now this makes sense- engine room too but not sure I would want to look at that all day. Rig a bilge pump light on the dash maybe.

Top Bottom