colored gel coat

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
thoughts on colored gelcoat?
i've seen some really faded, shabby colored gelcoat.
polishing has to help longevity.
will regularly polished and maintained colored gelcoat have a long life? are there varying qualities of gelcoat used, and if so, are there any boat shops that use really goo/bad stuff?
will it always eventually fade?

these sort of questions.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
If you're going with a color, don't get cheap gelcoat, buy the best stuff. Wax will be your friend, it's not so much the polish as it is keeping the oxygen from the surface of the product.

I've been running an on-going experiment on my own boat. And the results are in: Should have kept it waxed from day one.

Good thing about the gelcoat that I used though, you can bring it right back to the original luster with a bit of elbow grease. Sacrificing livestock to the boating gods doesn't work, also it makes your neighbors upset a wee bit when you "borrow" their blue ribbon winner.

Whiners.

Bulman711

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
31 JC
I have been buffing boats at a marina for the last 10 years I have a few colored hulls that I have been taking care of since day one. One that I remember in particular is a sailfish with a baby blue gel coat hull every fall it comes back a little bit oxidized but each spring the color and shine come right back with a regular buff and wax/ nothing special. In my experience as long as you don't let the oxidation get too far ahead of you it can always be brout back to the way it looks on day one.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
On the other hand, ask yourself why Hatteras yachts have always been Awlgripped from the factory. No faded blues on a Hatteras hull.

quite a few of the carolina boys have switched to alex seal, they says its an easier and better product to work with. (algrip 2.0, made by the same guy who made awlgrip)

DBM

Commander
Lite User
Top Bottom