Commercial Bass and Bluefish in RI

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Is there a commercial bass season in RI like there is up in mass? I couldnt really figure it out from the gov't website. Will possibly be working in RI this summer and will have access to a boat and i'm looking to make some extra cash on the side. Also, it looked like there was a bluefish season but is that even worth it? Any info appreciated, thanks!

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
There is a bass season, 5 fish a day, it is hardly like the Mass. To get into it you have to buy a permit basically and they are 10k+. For bluefish I think the permit for out of state will be like 500 and that is hook and line or trawl no gill net or seins.

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
bass season for the last 2 years has been under a month each year.. way too many out of state people fishing here..

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
I agree. I have a house in Orleans and the "flotilla" off chatham has gotten out of control. You cant even drive a boat through it. If the want the tree huggers to stop bitching then need to stop issuing out of state licenses.

Drakes

Lieutenant
It's not the out of state people all together...the
Re is just way too many fishermen for a small quota couple that with the fish being all in the same spot and easy to catch, it's a recipe for a failed fishery

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
It doesn’t matter about the amount of fishermen fishing in MA, I just don’t like the out of state guys because A. Its takes away from the money the MA fishermen make, and B. MA fishermen really can’t go to other states and fish for bass. The quota is going to get filled one way or another. I do agree that Chatham is a joke. It’s not fishing.. pretty much anyone can go down there and catch fish, but like all the other schools Chatham is going to get over fished and then you’re going to have a separation between the guys that really know how to bass fish and the guys who only know how to pull wire down in Chatham. Who knows those fish might not even show up next year. Then the seasons just going to go to the fall until the fish all pile up somewhere and then it’s going to turn into another Chatham like thing. My point here is that if you take away all the out of state fishermen the season is going to last longer which means more money in an average fishery for Ma fishermen.

Vertical jigging is a lot of fun though I must say...

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
As far as bluefishing. I taked to my wholesaler last year and he said theres not point in doing it and he said if i could get enough of them he knows a guy who would buy them for lobster bait...

15 bucks a tote.. not really worth it unless you have a seine permit, i dont even know how you might get a hold of one of those now...

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
That is a crappy price. Sometimes bluefish are worth a dollar a pound. He must have no outlet other than lobster bait.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
As far as bluefishing. I taked to my wholesaler last year and he said theres not point in doing it and he said if i could get enough of them he knows a guy who would buy them for lobster bait...

15 bucks a tote.. not really worth it unless you have a seine permit, i dont even know how you might get a hold of one of those now...

seine blues ??? you couldn't ever catch enough fish to pay for the damage to the net they would do.

Bassin

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Maritime Skiff
Theres a guy off of MA that apparently does it... I could be getting confused with gillnetting... really not too sure

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I choked a few of them in my day, the fish by the muffler weren't half bad for lunch !!
carlsonsdock.jpg

img273.jpg

caught some whiting too !!
whiting 2.jpg

carlsonsdock.jpg

img273.jpg

whiting 2.jpg

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Theres a guy off of MA that apparently does it... I could be getting confused with gillnetting... really not too sure

Wrapping up a bunch of blues would be like trying to seine lawnmowers, once you got the rings up they would just mulch their way out of the net :D

Top Bottom