Compact Trailer Deisel Cab Heaters...Anyone have any experience with these units?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Any issues with initial priming the system? I'm thinking of pulling a vacuum to see fuel at the filter? Or, don't overthink it?

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
ok, I won't use the vacuum pump to prime. Maybe today, just have to do some small electrical connections and finish the fuel line run. Going with the main fuel tanks not the day tank. I've been working nights the last few days and it has been busy. Finding time to work on this has been hard.

kcassells

Rear Admiral
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Got it running. I need some more wire to complete the install. Also changing my mind on where to put the display. Backlight is really bad. Insulation and finish still needed. Overall pretty impressed with the unit. I primed to the fuel pump suction, then it started on the second run command. Shutdown takes a while, didn't know what to expect and the display doesn't really indicate what is going on.

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4003 2.JPG

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Ok, it's all in and tested. Running fine and will close up the space once the fridge arrives and is fitted. I bought the wrap insulation. Of course...read the instructions after installing it. Supposed to soak in water to help with the wrap, but it seemed to go well without it. It definitely smoked and stunk the few first times running the unit with the insulation on it. Got a fancy grill to protect the hot parts from any small things in the storage space. The cold air intake works it's way forward through the bench seat going through a storage area, chain locker then to the lower bunk cabin. This will also help for ventilating the fridge heat.

IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4025.JPG

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Looks great. How well does that wrap insulation keep the temps down on the exhaust? Something cool enough to not burn you if you touch it I'd imagine.
not as good as you would think. I still measured some high temps. But, like you say...brushing up against it would prevent a burn. I can't think of any other way to really bring it down. Some of the more thermal products out there didn't have upper temp limits that were possible. I think my original idea of using rock wool would be have been hard because of so many curves. But, I think the distance is fine, and it should be good.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
So Dave the heater fuel is coming from your return line? I likes that!
No. the fuel supply is splits after the Racor. One branch to the heater, the other to the engine. I put some isolation valves in there also. I originally considered check valves also, but the ones I got from McMaster were spring check and I thought they might cause some issues with flow rates. So, I left them out.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Last edited:

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
That sucks Mud, how many hours you think? Are you going to mess with or put it in the bin?

Top Bottom