Compound and wax?

BunkerMan

Commander
Just about to start to do a rehab on my t Jason and was considering a very light wet sand on the existing faded oxidized finish then was gonna follow it up with a compound and then two coats of a high grade wax. I have used the 3m products before and wanted to know what everyone else was using to get the highest shine possible. I know there is some all in one products but I'm not sure which one to use.

Mike28

Commander
Boat Make
Parker 2320dvsc
what Elmar said, definitely the best combo
wool buffing pad, with the 3M compound keep the pad moist

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

LadyMaureen

Captain
Boat Make
Wesmac
I had a black boat for a long time. Best remedy for me was any white polishing compound applied fairly wet with a buffing wheel, then Gary's Royal Satin wax by hand or machine.

After 5-6 years of two to three times a year, I gave up. Finally bit the bullet and had the boat (which was black gel coat) painted black with Imron. Paint does not oxidize nearly as much as gel coat.

After I had it painted, simple turtle wax once a year did the job. I would never own a colored (gel coated) hull again.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I had a black boat for a long time. Best remedy for me was any white polishing compound applied fairly wet with a buffing wheel, then Gary's Royal Satin wax by hand or machine.

After 5-6 years of two to three times a year, I gave up. Finally bit the bullet and had the boat (which was black gel coat) painted black with Imron. Paint does not oxidize nearly as much as gel coat.

After I had it painted, simple turtle wax once a year did the job. I would never own a colored (gel coated) hull again.

Glad to hear this! Im about to paint my 24 Privateer hull black with imron. After doing my JC(white) Im in love with the stuff. I'd rather lightly sand and repaint the boat every 5-8yrs then wax ever again.

gregs

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Flowers 38
I hesitate to mention this as it should not be used on porus surfaces but when you are finished buffing out the oxidation or have a painted surface then this stuff works.
RejeX I have used it for 3 years on our sailboat. We used it on SS, Gelcoat, and on Imron painted hull. Here in Annapolis we get black rain, after every rainif you don't spray your boat off you will have black streaks that will not come off by spraying if you let them dry. Once I started using this I could pray and wipe dry with a cloth and the black was gone. It would last about 6 months on Gel coat and I did the hull once a year. It was remarkable the ss bowsprit I went from once every 2 months to once a year.

Top Bottom