converting a lobster boat cabin to a sport fish.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea what it would cost to extend the pilot house back 1 window space on each side and enclose the pilot house, from a lobster style to a sport fish style. I know it would vary allot between your overall space, windows and beam of the boat. But ball park figure on a 35 to 40 foot lobster boat, with say 13 to 14foot beam. What is a ballpark figure of what something like that would cost to get done by a reputable shop. Just looking for a ballpark idea money wise and even time wise how long it might take.
thanks.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
thanks El mar, are you refering to the lower galley space? I am only worried about extending the top cabin back. not moving the steering or anything back, just finishing the house off. Not moving the dash or motor i can't see that being cost effective at all.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
He's referring to where the engine is currently placed in the boat. Is it under the floor(w/ or w/out a engine box) or is forward down in the berth?

Alot of lobster boats have the engines way up forward for weight distribution.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Interestingly enough I know of a Duffy 35 high-sheer with the engine in front of the bulkhead.

Even with all that weight forward we still found him two knots just by reworking the bottom.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
thanks for all the info guys, this is with the engine in the wheelhouse and not in the cabin. Sorry i didn't say that. also no engine box it is below deck.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Hunthard, What boat do you have your eyes on? You sailing out of shinnecock?

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
Yes, shiny is where i fish out of. Looking at a few 36 NB'S, 35 Duffy’s, a few 38 beals. I have found boats i like but the price doesn't work for me or they are too slow. heading to Mass next Thursday to check out a few. haven't seen a 37 Duffy that isn't a cruiser that I like. Fattuna's boat is really nice but I want more cockpit. Plus the inside is too nice for my needs .looking to do 19knots, loaded heading to the canyon. in the 35 to 40 foot range. 400 gallons of fuel and built in the 2000's. My boat is 100% sold as of today so I am boat less and looking at options for this coming season. Don't want an engine box and not really looking for a project. Budget is between 150 to 175 for the right boat. master what kind of boat do you have? What do you mostly use it for.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom