Lite User
Boat Make
29' Webbers Cove

YankeeFPT

Commander
Website
www.yankeemarina.com
Boat Make
If it floats we will be glad to work on it.
1st. Why go from dripless to old school.
2nd. It "should" be easy., but location, room to work, and rust on the coupling can make the project go sideways quickly.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Does the boat have a wet keel or a shaft tube?

If its a shaft tube a traditional stuffing box won't cut the mustard, but they do make a product that slips onto the shaft tube and works like a traditional stuffing box with packing, I've installed one before, and for being old school it was pretty nice.

R.E. Thomas Marine Hardware, Inc. Manufacturer of Bronze Marine Hardware

It's the self-aligning shaft seal. We got the first one and it's working great for the owner.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
drippless

on the pss , the hose nipple going to the dripless (nylon) should be watched , I removed mine and it broke as in deteriorated, 3/8" hole below the water line ain't funny. now it on my regular maintenance schedule

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
R.E. Thomas Marine Hardware, Inc. Manufacturer of Bronze Marine Hardware

It's the self-aligning shaft seal. We got the first one and it's working great for the owner.

This is what I have Clay and it works great, packed with DuraMax packing. No drips no leaks and no mechanical seals to worry about. If it starts to drip just tighten up on the packing nut. IMO it is better than a mechanical seal and safer as you will have some indication of failure long before it becomes catastrophic.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Clay take good notes. come spring, I'll be doing the same thing to the JC.

Better yet just call me and I'll come over and help you..

blackdiamond296

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Alan Johnson 28 w/ 260 Yanmar
Just trying to work through some divergent opinions on the topic that I have received lately due to an unfortunate circumstance occurring recently.

If you don't mind, I'm curious to hear what the unfortunate circumstance was. Was it some sort of part failure? Only asking as it may be a lesson that you had to learn the hard way that maybe someone else could learn from.

Fish220sr

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
29' Webbers Cove

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I hear you 220; why bother to plumb water in when there's a spring right there?

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
on the pss , the hose nipple going to the dripless (nylon) should be watched , I removed mine and it broke as in deteriorated, 3/8" hole below the water line ain't funny. now it on my regular maintenance schedule

oldshell - I just replaced the two stuffing boxes in my Bertram. I almost stayed with the conventional design due to that nylon elbow on the PSS. I actually bought the brand that Travis mentioned earlier in this post, but could not make it fit my application. Then I discovered that PSS changed their design to a stainless steel elbow on the new ones, so that's what I ended up with. I'll find out in the springtime if the boat floats or not!

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
oldshell - I just replaced the two stuffing boxes in my Bertram. I almost stayed with the conventional design due to that nylon elbow on the PSS. I actually bought the brand that Travis mentioned earlier in this post, but could not make it fit my application. Then I discovered that PSS changed their design to a stainless steel elbow on the new ones, so that's what I ended up with. I'll find out in the springtime if the boat floats or not!

Interesting on "not fitting"?
Diameter mismatch or something?
I measured that the Tides takes a little length shafy length than the PSS

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
The conventional style actually did fit fine, BUT due to the very short shaft length inside the hull, the coupling was right there and you could not get the nut off to change the packing. There simply was no real estate available. I even measured to shorten the hose, but no dice. It would have worked out fine otherwise. That was a quality unit. So it was back to the PSS which turned out to have the SS elbow upgrade, and that made me happy. Both PSS units have been installed and fit fine, but still pretty close to that coupling and almost in contact with the keyseat on the shaft. We fit one of the motors in today (with the gift of mid 50 degree weather) and had to account for compression of the bellows. We took a piece of PVC pipe and cut it to fit in between the strut and the prop nut (prop is removed). Tightened up the nut and it pulled the shaft back to the correct location while compressing the bellows. The motor dropped right into it's original location and everything looked fine.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,

rose's marine told me the nylon hose barb was there to prevent you from over tightening and possibly cracking the rotating piece. I changed that barb in the water , so it was a bit of a Chinese fire drill when the nylon one broke, luckily I had a spare on hand , you see how much water can come in under that much pressure, it wouldn't take long , it's something to keep an eye on

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
rose's marine told me the nylon hose barb was there to prevent you from over tightening and possibly cracking the rotating piece. I changed that barb in the water , so it was a bit of a Chinese fire drill when the nylon one broke, luckily I had a spare on hand , you see how much water can come in under that much pressure, it wouldn't take long , it's something to keep an eye on

correction: crack the standing part

Top Bottom