Cool picture of a classic Down East boat but not a Lobster boat

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
I know that people really enjoy the Lobster Boat style Down East boat but Hinckley Yachts has a long heritage in Down East Maine and one of their very first power boats was in fact a Lobster Boat. Anyhow, here is a picture of a recent refit project for a customer that owns a 44' FB Talaria that was originally powered with 2 x 440 Yanmar engines and had a top speed of about 26 knots at a displacement of 30k + lbs. Cruise was about 21 knots with the Yanmars and the customers were always complaining of smoke around the transom at the dock. We have repowered this boat with 2 x Tier 3 NEF 570's and Hinckley upgraded the customer to their new Jet Stick 2 control. The boat now has a fully laiden top speed of 36 knots and a cruise speed of 31 knots. The customer could not believe how smooth and quiet the helm area was. He made multiple comments about being able to carry on a normal conversation with someone in the cockpit area at 27 knots. The customer was/is very pleased with his purchase.

Down East II-0070.jpg

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
What does the bottom of that boat look like?

Pedlyr

Captain
Is "Jetstick" a Hamilton control system? Aftermarket? That is if boat has waterjets.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Is "Jetstick" a Hamilton control system? Aftermarket? That is if boat has waterjets.
Jet Stick is Hinckley's engineered control system for the Hamilton Jet's that integrates GPS, bow thrustet, jets and engine into an integrated control system that allows for extremely easy maneuverability for anyone docking and cruising. Very impressive system. There is a lot of help from Hope Group also.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Picture of the engine in the compartment
Just received a customer testimonial "Just traveled from Newport RI to Cape May NJ in 11 hours, was one of the most pleasing experiences I have had. The engines are so smooth and quite that I can actually hear the AC over the engines." "The boat is now a Race Horse". Speaks for itself I think!

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Recently rode in a Hinckley picnic boat with Yanmars and they were the loudest rattletraps I have ever heard. Ran downwind on booze cruise and just bathed in diesel smoke the whole way. Boat was one of Hinckley owners too I think. I was actually pretty surprised because the rest of the boat was stunning. Not sure which Yanmars.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Didnt mean to put an end to this discussion.:confused:

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Didnt mean to put an end to this discussion.:confused:
I wouldn't worry about it Toolate, you made a statement that I am sure there aren't too many arguments for and the performance increase of the repower and the customer testimonial speaks for itself so there really isn't much more discussion to be had. Although, I am always available for more discussion. I myself didn't have anything further to add, I just thought it was a great action shot of a downeast boat that has a lot of history in the region and even globally now.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
The fit and finish on those boats is truly amazing too and they are just so perfectly designed for their purpose (booze cruising) that a trip on one is something.

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
I want a boat with twin 570hp FPT's:D. Peter, when is the 1000hp rec / 900hp commercial rated 13 liter coming out? My dream is a 42 Wesmac with 900hp ;).

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
I want a boat with twin 570hp FPT's:D. Peter, when is the 1000hp rec / 900hp commercial rated 13 liter coming out? My dream is a 42 Wesmac with 900hp ;).
Hello Powder, the CAT JV version of our C13 is not likely to hit the market before end of 2014, 4th quarter sometime. I suspect that it will be very expensive, but I can tell you that the torque rise and performance out of this engine is extremely impressive. I was just at the FPT experimental R&D facility in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago and saw the Gamma version on test bench before being shipped to CAT and it is a thing of beauty. The only down side for us is that it is completely CAT exclusive for Recreational use only for Tier 3, so I won't be selling it.

As for the 900 Mhp version, FPT is also working on this right now and are trying to understand the value of the engine making Tier 3 emissions as there is not a lot of volume in N.A. at the moment. I mean we are selling the current C13 at about a rate of 40-50 per year but that is not enough volume to constitute a development plan for just Tier 3 when the U.S. market is the only market requiring Tier 3 regulation. IMO has a decision to make in March/April time frame and if they move also to Tier 3 EPA emissions than this will speed things up. I would not look for the 900 Mhp version of the C13 until also late next year or 4th quarter sometime. We still have a lot of work to do to put together a business plan. I agree with you that a 900 Mhp commercial EPA Tier 3 certified engine is a very, very unique and highly competitive product that would gain a lot of market share and business growth for us and FPT, but we have to show them proof.

Right now we have the ability to sell our current Tier 2 stock for the remainder of 2014 for new build and repower business and we have stock on the current version of C13 to get us through until 4th quarter 2014.

Peter

Powderpro

Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
Peter- Thanks for the informative reply, the current 750hp is awesome, but I know if a 900hp version came out for commercial app, it would be a big hit (literally).

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Peter- Thanks for the informative reply, the current 750hp is awesome, but I know if a 900hp version came out for commercial app, it would be a big hit (literally).
It is very nice to hear that feedback. I believe that 900 Mhp in that displacement in an inline 6 is a "game changer" to coin the phrase, but there is a lot of other criteria that plays into this so we hope for 900 but may get 875 or 840, who knows.... We will find out once it is released I guess.

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
Its not too bad looking but the fly and sunshade detract. To me Looks more like it would fit in a SF venue than DE with those two items.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Not to have proper running gear under her, she looks pretty sweet to me, and I'll leave it at that. And built in Maine.

Top Bottom