Coosa board decking

tPee

Lieutenant
I've read lots of post on here that coosa is a good choice for a boat deck. It seems like most say to fiberglass both sides. My question is if the deck framing has a built in crown to it will the fiberglassed coosa have enough flex to accommodate a crown. It would be roughly 1/2 in. crown a little over 6 ft. Or is it ok to leave the bottom un-fiberglassed?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
I'd fiberglass both sides and use it as a core. Fiberglass the underside first, flip it and place it in it's position then glass the top. What thickness are you going to use, 3/4? Without glass it is pretty floppy.

leaky

Vice Admiral
I've read lots of post on here that coosa is a good choice for a boat deck. It seems like most say to fiberglass both sides. My question is if the deck framing has a built in crown to it will the fiberglassed coosa have enough flex to accommodate a crown. It would be roughly 1/2 in. crown a little over 6 ft. Or is it ok to leave the bottom un-fiberglassed?

My take is if you don't glass the bottom you are giving up a lot of strength, even if moisture intrusion is not a concern.

You could glass the bottom with a camber put on it - fairly easy, set it up on a flat surface with a piece of something under the two ends. If it doesn't naturally bow then shoot a few screws underneath to pull it down in the center.

tPee

Lieutenant
I'd be using 3/4 in. thick material. Thanks for the info.

Tunatown

Captain
Boat Make
36 H&H CAT 3126B 420hp
I did my deck last winter with 3/4 I glasses the bottom side of all the sheets in my garage before I put them in the boat I didn’t want to do the whole job the feel a flex and regret it down the road

aweigh again

Commander
Boat Make
22 foot 1983 bass boat
Are you going to use coosa 20 or coosa bluewater 26 for a deck? I have heard the 20 is great for a deck, but I dont know for sure

Plastered

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
31 jc
Top Bottom