Coring

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Debating making a new engine box/ console/ bench seat etc as my winter project. What would be the lightest/ cost effective coring material I could use.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
CaptChuck.....H.D.has Dow insulation 4x8 sheets with foil back in half inch to two inch thick.....good stuff..

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
i agree with the gents above as for light and cheap. personally if i were doing an engine box i would use nidacores honey comb core. primarily for its sound deadening properties

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
I've used the 2" 10lb density foam for an engine box and it really helped quiet down a pair of cummins 6bts.

The thing I really like about the 10lb foam is that it routes very nicely with a 1" roundover and gives a great finish and allows the glass to layout really easily on the edges. Any density foam should be capable of that though.

I never thought to use nidacore for an engine box b/c it is hollow inside it's cells. I didn't realize it was known for it's sound deadening properties but it would definitely be light weight.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Can anyone attest to the strength of using tough r? It will be weight bearing does it require any reinforcement or just glass over it and go?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Can anyone attest to the strength of using tough r? It will be weight bearing does it require any reinforcement or just glass over it and go?

I always assumed that epoxy would melt foam like this (ever put PL 400 adhesive on it?).

Is the Tuffr made from polyisocyanurate or the white popcorny foam like coolers from the beer distributor? I would check the compatibility first or at least find out what people are using.

The foams I am familiar with for residential use have very little strength. A 2" thick sheet is easily broken by hand foil on it or not but would have to assume if you glassed a whole box inside and out would be plenty strong.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Most of the guys on here don't use much epoxy from what I've seen.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
foam coring

would you make flat panels first then put the console together? or fabricate the console, gluing the foam like plywood, then glass the whole thing?

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
I want to be able to use curves etc so I would fabricate it then glass it

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
core

I've been using plywood , but the weight on an offset console is a problem . i'll try it for the next build thanks

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
What do u need epoxy to build an engine box for?

Guessing the whole world has moved on to polyester or vinylester resin? That what you two are trying to say? :confused: I havent fiberglassed since 1998 and I used epoxy. Thats right I admitted.

Educate me if you dont mind. Please.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
This thread is why I love this place... :)

Where is that popcorn icon thing?

Learning lots by just watching... hoping to finally do my projects this spring... we shall see and will take what I hear here...

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Guessing the whole world has moved on to polyester or vinylester resin? That what you two are trying to say? :confused: I havent fiberglassed since 1998 and I used epoxy. Thats right I admitted.

Educate me if you dont mind. Please.

There are plenty of people who use epoxy for projects such as that- just not much around here. I've been on this board for two years and it's just something I've noticed.

Top Bottom