Shelter Island 38
Last edited by a moderator:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
See pic below.

My shaft is a wet tube design (correct me if wrong) from the 1970's and drips slowly, which is normal in my understanding.

At speed it flings water around and has caused considerable corrosion over 6 years since repower.

I have a new racor housing I'm putting in (the other side is badly corroded), but how do I protect the gear? You can see it's taken quite a hit.

Also I've zip tied plastic around the shaft, and that's helped, but is this just a half-assed fix, and is there a better way? I can't afford extensive work (dripless shaft) without giving up other dreams (radar).

thanks,
eric

old-bay-albums-wasque-32-picture604-image.jpg

You can make a "half moon" aluminum cover and screw in down to the hull.
Maybe 5200 two pieces of starboard to the hull to screw into.

And you can spray a daily dose of Corrosion X onto that area of the transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailorgp

Commander
Boat Make
Sisu 26
You are correct in believing your conventional shaft packing should drip...even at speed it should just drip and not fling water. Sounds to me like your packing needs replacement or at least an adjustment.

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
What they said........

Repack, use the good stuff GorTex, install a shield.

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
Yes repack with the good stuff and build a cover mine is elaborate others use a cut away plastic jug. Keep the water off motor and other things in the bilge.

IMG_0622.jpg

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
piece of plexi or lexan and a heat gun, form it over a piece of pipe, coffee can, gallon paint can just find something that has the shape you want and have at it !!! Spray everything with either LPS #3 or Fluid Film
SPNM44nIV7gJom-8cypwrgCPNv3KMW2QC53PhDR2CHCFTzafmQRE4srULX0ReGT3g6uVyto2ft4TxElk5PkEYfH_B7MgVCXM7OaSiS8GvTTcZYQ2gGU2AmvezVKxSTZthLxvJRs6SXoAH36CERhb1JRBG3x0zm-Os0ShnLk=s120-c
OFD4PQscIkVZKm4ok7ebarSA3MakeAZbzSorJwzbH9AKBoKo4zeYgTv3kvIDxdFUSsh-ppE1abHJkeboqL8fhUgQRkLtUk17nBXbHeQjncI-SXQVsYihsxV9Muz3GjDAYB7DcRsK8dJRDJx7lOPVMgmA40-Wz_8=s120-c

Last edited:

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
A re-packing is needed. If it drips at rest & Flings water at speed. Mostly your shaft is also worn where the packing rest. Therefore even with a re-packing the shaft maybe in question. Once re-packed the shaft should be slightly warm at speed but not hot. If the shaft continues to fling water a shaft saver donut might help. This will push the shaft back 1" allowing the new packing to ride on a smooth shaft surface.

If there is not enough room for the shaft saver. Then you could shorten the rubber connecting hose. This will also push the stuffing box back 1" also allowing for a smooth shaft surface.

Last edited:

OLD BAY

Rear Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Top Bottom