Crash course on inboards?

MAArcher

Captain
I'm hoping to get bare 22' SISU inboard hull soon and want to find a used motor and install it within the next three months (just weekends and some evenings), having had zero experience with inboards, how do I educate myself ASAP, find a motor and ALL needed parts...transmission, cooling, prop, stuffing box (what the hell is a stuffing box anyway, sounds like something you'd get sent to the principals office for is you said it in school) and install? Somewhat mechanically inclined, I've done most of my own maintenance and small repairs on outboards, cars, motorcycles, atv's etc. But no experience with outboards. I have a friend with a bucket truck for heavy lifting. Links to informative websites and video's appreciated. Also considering conversion to an outboard with a bracket.

leaky

Vice Admiral
You might want to come by and take a look at mine, see the basic inboard setup and what you are up against.

Why does this boat have no drive train? New kit or gutted out?

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

1rider

Lieutenant Commander
451ADB03-E2C7-454F-973B-592383AA39E7.jpeg

I have the same desire to take something like this on as well. Although I think I have gone crazy sometimes because I hate working on vehicles! So, I keep asking myself why would I want to be contorted in the hull of a boat trying to tighten a hose clamp.

Good luck MAArcher, if you ask the right questions here it should minimize the amount of times you find yourself saying “ I should of installed that before I did this...”

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
View attachment 99301

I have the same desire to take something like this on as well. Although I think I have gone crazy sometimes because I hate working on vehicles! So, I keep asking myself why would I want to be contorted in the hull of a boat trying to tighten a hose clamp.

Good luck MAArcher, if you ask the right questions here it should minimize the amount of times you find yourself saying “ I should of installed that before I did this...”
I’d much rather be contorted working on a boat than a vehicle. Times ten

Kenneth

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 - SeaArk 1860
I started with a bare hull on my project and have never had an inboard boat. There's a few things you want to get right but its really a simple of a design as you can get in a boat.

c1steve

Captain
Buy a complete marinized motor. Otherwise buying the marine parts separate would be incredibly expensive. Lots to choose from, but ask plenty of questions before purchasing one. Putting a used engine on an engine stand in your garage is very, very helpful.

Top Bottom